Adjunct Professor of Music
SYDNEY HODKINSON (b.1934) currently holds the Almand Chair in Music Composition at Stetson University and has served as Composer-in-Residence and faculty conductor at Colorado's Aspen Music Festival and School for fifteen years. A distinguished 55 year teaching career includes posts at the Universities of Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Southern Methodist and Rochester - with visiting professorships at Western Ontario, Oberlin, Indiana and Duke Universities.
As conductor, He held positions as director of the Contemporary Directions Ensemble (Michigan),Eastman's Musica Nova Ensemble and the Kilbourn Orchestra, the Voices of Change (SMU, Dallas), Banff Festival, Torontos's New Music Concerts, the Aspen Contemporary Ensemble as well as many guest appointments.
Awards include those from the National Institute of Arts and Letters, University of Michigan, Guggenheim Foundation, Canada Council, National Endowment for the Arts and the Ford Foundation.
- D.M.A., University of Michigan
- M.M., composition, Eastman School of Music
- B.M., Eastman School of Music
- Private and Class Instruction in Classical Music Composition
- Contemporary Music Competition
- See Presser.com/Composers/info.cfm?Name=SYDNEYHODKINSON OR www.sydhodkinson.com
- Phone: 386-822-8988