Associate Professor and Research Librarian
As research librarian, Sims Kline works individually with patrons and answers questions from students, faculty, staff, alumni, library associates and others. Kline began his work at Stetson as reference/government documents librarian (1976-1982), after which he served as acting library director (1982-1984), and library director (1984-2002). He led the library's planning efforts for a $5.5 million renovation and expansion completed in 1999. He established the Stetson Library Associates organization to encourage gifts to support collections, equipment, and services.
Kline was a founding Board of Directors member of the Central Florida Library Cooperative (CFLC) and later served as president. The organization's mission was to promote resource sharing and to provide training to librarians and support staff in an eight-county area.
He led a statewide initiative resulting in the Florida Legislature adopting statutes recognizing the importance of regional multi-type library cooperatives and providing funding.
Appointed by the Florida Secretary of State to the Florida Library Network Council, Kline was the first representative for private academic libraries to serve on the council.
Kline serves on the Student Publications Board at Stetson and performs as keyboardist with several local ensembles.
- M.L.S., Florida State University
- M.A., English, University of Florida
- B.S.F.S., Georgetown University School of Foreign Service
- Government publications in the news
- Ethnographic approach to information behavior of college students
- "Documents in the News: A Review of Articles in the New York Times," DttP: Documents to the People, Vol. 41, No. 2, Summer 2013.
- "Stover Theatre: Final Curtain?" Stetson Reporter, April 19, 2012, p. 7.
- "Stetson Hall vs. Kobelco," Stetson Reporter, Sept. 1, 2011, p. 7
- "Doug Lee's Quiet Revolution," Stetson Reporter, March 29, 2011, p. 7.
- Editor and Publisher, Literary Criticism Register: A Monthly Listing of Studies in English and American Literature, 1983-1993.
- "G.K. Hall's Post-Electronic Books," Florida Online, Feb.1982, p. 5.
- "An Online Chic Index," Florida Online, February 1981, reprinted in Special Libraries Association, New Jersey Chapter Bulletin, 46 (July 1981). p. 4.
- Co-author, "Instruction in Negotiating the Reference Query,"in Bill Katz, ed. Reference and Information Services: A Reader (Scarecrow Press, 1978), p. 119-130.