Conductor, Stetson University Choral Union
With over thirty years of experience, Dr. Sandra Peter is active as a choral conductor, guest clinician, composer and consultant throughout the United States and abroad. She conducts the Stetson University Choral Union and teaches conducting and aural training for the Stetson University School of Music. This year, Dr. Peter will also lead choral festivals in Singapore, Vienna, Salzburg, Minnesota, and Florida.
Dr. Peter previously taught at Luther College, Decorah, Iowa from 1991-2013, conducting choirs, teaching in the music department, and serving the larger campus and local community in many ways. She was a part of a team of colleagues that saw extraordinary growth to Luther's music program. During this time period, for example, choral participation increased from 350 singers in five choirs to 550 students in six choirs, and the program remains strong today. Her two choirs at Luther, Aurora (select first-year women, 100 voices) and Cathedral Choir (select second-year students, 100 mixed voices) toured annually, released recordings, commissioned and premiered new works, and performed several times at regional American Choral Directors Association conferences.
Dr. Peter served on the artistic committee and conducted for Christmas at Luther, an Emmy Award-winning event that is televised nationwide every year. Her scholarly work with Aurora resulted in chapter contributions to the book, Conducting Women's Choirs: Strategies for Success, released in 2010 by GIA Publications. A skilled choral arranger, many of the pieces she created for Aurora and Cathedral have been published by MorningStar Music and the Neil Kjos Company. Her newest publication is a setting of "Silent Night," written for the 2014 Stetson University Christmas Candlelight Concert, and released in 2015 by MorningStar.
Dr. Peter is an active member of American Choral Directors Association, the College Music Society and is also a charter member of The National Collegiate Choral Organization. Her experience includes many years conducting church choirs of all ages for congregations in Minnesota, Iowa and Arizona, and most recently as the Director of Music at First Presbyterian Church in DeLand, Florida. She was also a founding member of the National Lutheran Choir. A native of Saint Paul, Minnesota, Dr. Peter holds degrees from Concordia College (Moorhead), University of Arizona and the University of Iowa. In the spring of 2016, she was honored to be back in her hometown as Visiting Professor of Music at Macalester College, conducting the Macalester Concert Choir and Macalester Chorale.
- D.M.A., choral conducting, University of Iowa
- M.Mus., vocal performance, University of Arizona
- B.A., music education, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
- Choral Union
- Conducting I
- Aural Training I
- Women's Chorale
- Choral music
- Choral repertoire
- Community building
- Women in music
- "Silent Night," arranged for SATB divisi, strings, organ or piano; MorningStar Music, 2015.
- "Were You There?" arranged for SSAA (with Melba Williamson); MorningStar Music, 2013.
- "Mentoring the women's choir through voicing, labeling, and seating," Conducting women's choirs: strategies for success, GIA Publications, 2012.
- "Tidings of Comfort and Joy," Christmas at Luther, Twin Cities Public Television, 2012 (DVD).
- Using our voice, Aurora, Luther College Recordings, 2010 (CD).
- "Patapan," arranged for SSAA; Morningstar Music, 2010.
- "Winds Through the Olive Trees," arranged for SATB and oboe; MorningStar Music, 2009.
- "Night of Glory, Dawn of Peace," Christmas at Luther, Twin Cities Public Television, 2008 (DVD).
- Finding a voice, Pike Kor, Luther College Recordings, 2006 (CD).
- "Helping women find a voice: works for women's chorus by Libby Larsen," D.M.A., essay, University of Iowa, 2006.