Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Michael Hirsch joined the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Stetson University as a visiting assistant professor in 2014. He earned his Ph.D. in industrial engineering, concentrating in operations research, from the University of Florida. His dissertation focused on heuristics for continuous global optimization problems. Michael is also the president of ISEA TEK, a research and development consulting company specializing in applying mathematical theory to real-world engineering problems. He spent 13 years working at Raytheon Company, leading multiple research projects dealing with autonomous systems, information fusion and cooperative control. He has authored 40 peer-reviewed publications, has edited three books dealing with cooperative control and information systems, and has presented his research at multiple national and international conferences.
- Ph.D., industrial engineering, The University of Florida (2006)
- M.S., applied mathematics, The University of Delaware (1998)
- B.A., mathematics, West Chester University (1996)
- Calculus for Business Decisions
- Applied operations research
- Cooperative control
- Information fusion
- Mathematical modeling
- Stefanello, F., Buriol, L. S., Hirsch, M. J., Pardalos, P. M., Querido, T., Resende, M. G. C. and Ritt, M. "On the Minimization of Traffic Congestion in Road Networks With Tolls," submitted to Annals of Operations Research.
- Hirsch, M. J. and Schroeder, D. "On the Decentralized Cooperative Control of Multiple Autonomous Vehicles," to appear in Handbook of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Valavanis, K. P. and Vachtsevanos, G. (eds.), 2014.
- Hirsch, M. J., Schroeder, D., Maggiar, A. and Dolinskaya, I. "Multi-Depot Vessel Routing Problem in a Direction Dependent Wavefield," Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 38-57, 2014.
- Hirsch, M. J. and Schroeder, D. "Optimization Algorithms for Decentralized Planning and Control," Raytheon Technology Today Magazine, no. 1, pp. 32-35, 2014.
- Silva, R. M. A., Resende, M. G. C., Pardalos, P. M. and Hirsch, M. J. "A Python/C Library for Bound-Constrained Global Optimization with Continuous GRASP," Journal of Optimization Letters, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 967-984, 2013.
- Hirsch, M. J., Ortiz-Pena, H., Nagi, R., Stotz, A. and M. Sudit. "On the Optimization of Information Workflow," Dynamics of Information Systems: Mathematical Foundations, Sorokin, A., Murphey, R., Thai, M. and Pardalos, P. M. (eds.), Springer, vol. 20, pp. 43-65, 2012.
- Hirsch, M. J. and Ha, B. C. "On the Incorporation of Adversarial Reasoning in Course of Action Analysis and Resource Allocation," Journal of Optimization Letters, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 403-414, 2012.
- Hirsch, M. J., Ortiz-Pena, H. and Eck, C. "Cooperative Tracking of Multiple Targets by a Team of Autonomous UAVs," International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 53-73, 2012.
- Hirsch, M. J., Pardalos, P. M. and Resende, M. G. C. "Correspondence of projected 3D-Points and Lines Using a Continuous GRASP," International Transactions in Operational Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 493-511, 2011.
- Hirsch, M. J., "Decentralized Cooperative Control for Autonomous UAVs," Raytheon Technology Today Magazine, no. 2, pp. 48-49, 2011.
- Phone: 386-822-7549