Rinker Distinguished Professor of Accounting; Director of the Master of Accountancy Programs
Michael Bitter is an active researcher with 16 journal articles, three published book reviews, a book chapter and 38 presentations at regional, national and international academic meetings. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the American Accounting Association, the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Beta Alpha Psi and Beta Gamma Sigma. He serves as Stetson University's faculty athletics representative and is heavily involved in service activities within the university, in the accounting profession and in the Atlantic Sun Conference and National Collegiate Athletics Association. Bitter was the School of Business Administration's Professor of the Year in 2001 and 2006, and is also a past recipient of the school's service award (2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010 and 2011), research award (1999) and the J.D./M.B.A. Golden Apple Award for teaching (2003). In 2008 he was one of two world-wide to receive the Outstanding Reviewer Award from Accounting Education: An International Journal.
- Ph.D. accountancy, University of Mississippi
- M.Acc., University of Florida
- B.B.A., Stetson University
- Advanced Auditing
- Accounting Theory
- Financial Accounting and Reporting Seminar
- Financial and Managerial Accounting for Managers
- Accounting education
- Accounting faculty issues
- Accounting accreditation
- "Impediments to Seeking AACSB Accounting Accreditation: Perceptions of Administrators of Non-Accounting Accredited Programs at AACSB Accredited Business Schools," presented at the Allied Academies' Spring International Conference, March 28, 2013, with Laurie Henry.
- "AACSB Accounting Accreditation - The Small Program Experience," presented at the Allied Academies' Spring International Conference, March 29, 2013.
- "The Central Florida Emphysema Foundation Audit: A Case Study of Personal and Professional Responsibility," Issues in Accounting Education (May 2011), with Patrick Knipe.
- "The Violet Bay School District Deficit of 2005: Evaluating Internal Control and Identifying Risks," Issues in Accounting Education (February 2010), with Laurie Henry and Terry Kubichan.
- "The Initial Job Selections of New Accounting Professors," The Accounting Educators' Journal (Volume 12, 2000).
- "A Preliminary Investigation of the Choice to Obtain AACSB Accounting Accreditation," The Accounting Educators' Journal (Volume 11, 1999), with Jud Stryker and Bill Jens.
- "A Mid-Range Theory of the Leader/Member Attribution Process in Professional Service Organizations: The Role of the Organizational Environment and Impression Management," in M.J. Martinko (ed.) Attribution Theory: An Organizational Perspective (St. Lucie Press, 1995), with William Gardner.
- Phone: 386-822-7422
- Fax: 386-822-7426