Matt Wilson, Ed.D. is an associate professor of sport business at Stetson University. A former college and professional baseball player, Wilson completed his doctoral work at the University of Georgia and has taught in higher education since 1998. His research area focuses on issues in intercollegiate athletics. Wilson’s work has been featured in Time Magazine, USA Today, Inside Higher Education ESPN Radio, Seattle Times, and Minnesota Plain-Dealer, and he has also presented at several international conferences. Wilson has several years of practical sport business work experience in intercollegiate athletics, the 1996 Summer Olympic Games and Augusta National Golf Club. Wilson owns a consulting business, focusing on team building, leadership, and sport skills development. Wilson is married to the former Lisa Nuxol (current Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University head women's basketball coach) and together they have a son, Rocco.
- Ed.D, sports studies/sport management, University of Georgia
- M.Ed., physical education/coaching, Georgia Southern University
- B.S., health promotion, Georgia Southern University
- Introduction to Sport Business
- Social and Ethical Issues in Sport Sales
- Issues associated with the business of intercollegiate athletics
- 2013; Wilson, M. J., and Burke, K. L. "NCAA Division I men's basketball coaching contracts: A comparative analysis of incentives for athletic and academic team performance between 2009 and 2012." Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 6, 81-95.
- 2011; Wilson, M. J., Schraeger, M., Burke, K. L., Hawkins, B. J., and Gauntt, B. "Division I men's basketball coaching contracts: A comparison of athletic and academic incentive clauses." Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 4, 396-410.
- 2011; Blom, L. C., Abrell, L., Wilson, M. J., Lape, J., Halbrook, M., and Judge, L. W. "Working with male athletes: The experiences of U.S. female head coaches." ICHPER-SD Journal of Research, 6(1), 36-43.
- 2013; Wilson, M.J., Burke, K. L., and Hawkins, B. "2012 NCAA Division I College Head Football Coaching Contracts: A Content Analysis of Incentives." Paper presented at the 6th Annual College Sport Research Institute Conference on College Sport, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- 2013; Edgcomb, R. and Wilson, M. J. "College Basketball Coaching Contracts: An Analysis of Race and Compensation." Poster presented at the 6th Annual College Sport Research Institute Conference on College Sport, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. (International)
- 2013; Boyd, C. and Wilson, M. J. "Effect of NCAA Transfer Bylaws on the Academic Progress Rate" Poster presented at the 6th Annual College Sport Research Institute Conference on College Sport, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. (International)
- 2012; Jones, S., Carlson, L., and Wilson, M. J. "The spill-over effect of fan animosity toward opponents: Marketing implications." Paper presented at the 50th Annual Society for Marketing Advances Conference, Orlando, Fla. (International)
- 2012; Wilson, M. J., Burke, K. L., and Hawkins, B. "Division I college head coach's contracts: What incentives are really in them?" Paper presented at the 5th Annual Collegiate Sport Research Institute Conference held in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. (International)
- 2011; Blom, L.C., Wilson, M. J., Lape, J., and Abrell, L.K. "A qualitative investigation of female head coaches' experiences in working with male athletes. Paper presented at the Twenty-Sixth Annual Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology, Honolulu, HI. (International)
- Phone: 386-822-8105