Associate Professor of
Matthew Schrager teaches courses in human anatomy/physiology, the physiology of aging, exercise physiology, biomechanics and research methods. His research focuses primarily on aging, bioenergetics, and functional capacity. He has a secondary research focus on the physiology and biomechanics of mobility and human performance. In his aging research, Dr. Schrager analyzes large-scale databases through the National Institute on Aging, and he has published with Stetson students research on blueberries as a potential countermeasure to the functional effects of aging. He is also interested in the role that the “built environment”/bicycling infrastructure has on encouraging or inhibiting physical activity.
- Post-doctoral Fellowship at the National Institute on Aging
- Ph.D., University of Maryland
- M.S., Indiana University
- B.A., Grinnell College
- Research Statistics and Techniques
- Exercise Physiology
- Basic Biomechanics
- Understanding and combatting age-related changes in performance and health that many individuals experience
- Cause of certain individuals to decrease physical activity more than others.
- Barefoot running movement and its health/performance effects.
- Schrager MA, Stoddard M, Vuu C, Kelly VE. "Effects of Blueberry Supplementation on Cognitive and Motor Function in Older Adults." In Review. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism.
- Schrager MA, Hilton J, Gould R, Kelly VE. "Effects of Blueberry Supplementation on Measures of Functional Mobility in Older Adults." Accepted. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism.
- Schrager MA, Schrack JA, Simonsick EM, Ferrucci L. "The Association Between Energy Availability and Physical Activity in Older Adults." American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2014 May 5 [Epub ahead of print: doi: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000000108](Also appearing in the Oct 2014 print edition of the journal).
- Wilson MJ, Schrager M, Burke K, Hawkins BJ, Gauntt L. "NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Coaching Contracts: A Comparative Analysis of Incentives for Athletic and Academic Team Performance." Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics. 4: 396-410, 2011.
- Sogabe A, Mukaib N, Miyakawab S, Mesakib N, Maedac K, Yamamoatod T, Gallagher PM, Schrager MA, Fry AC. "Influence of Knee Alignment on Quadriceps Cross-Sectional Area." Journal of Biomechanics. 42 (14): 2313-2317, 2009.
- Kelly VE, Schrager MA, Price R, Ferrucci L, Shumway-Cook A. "Age-Associated Effects of a Concurrent Cognitive Task on Gait Speed and Stability During Narrow-Base Walking." The Journals of Gerontology: Series A.
- Schrager MA, Kelly VE, Price R, Ferrucci L, Shumway-Cook A. "The Effects of Age on Medio-Lateral Stability in Normal and Narrow Base Walking." Gait and Posture. 28(3): 466-471, 2008.
- Vogelzangs N, Suthers K, Ferrucci L, Simonsick EM, Ble A, Schrager M, Bandinelli S, Lauretani F, Giannelli SV, Penninx BW. "Hypercortisolemic Depression is Associated with the Metabolic Syndrome in Late-Life." Psychoneuroendocrinology. 32(2):151-9, 2007.
- Schrager MA, Metter EJ, Simonsick E, Ble A, Bandinelli S, Lauretani F, Ferrucci L. "Sarcopenic Obesity and Inflammation in the InCHIANTI study." J Appl Physiol. 102(3):919-25, 2007.
- Metter EJ, Schrager M, Ferrucci L, Talbot. "Evaluation of Movement Speed and Reaction Time as Predictors of All-Cause Mortality in Men." J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 60(7): 840-6, 2005.
- Exercise physiology/performance
- Public health and physical activity's role
- Muscle physiology
- Physiological and biomechanical effects of running shoe design
- Physiological bases of physical inactivity in older and other populations
- Phone: 386-822-8155