Assistant Professor of Counselor Education
Leigh DeLorenzi, Ph.D., is a counselor educator with a clinical specialty in trauma modalities, such as Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (E.M.D.R.) for adults and children. Her research interests include developing standards of conduct in graduate counselor preparation programs, treatment attrition prevention for child sexual abuse victims, assessment development for survivors of concurrent forms of family violence, and triage decision-making at child advocacy centers. She has developed trainings and taught courses related to counseling children with trauma, family therapy, counseling techniques, career counseling, human growth and development, assessment and evaluation, practicum, and internship. She also serves as a volunteer consultant and researcher for Kids House of Seminole, in Sanford, Fla.
- Ph.D., counselor education, University of Central Florida
- M.A., clinical mental health counseling, Rollins College
- B.S., communication, University of Miami
- Psychological Assessment and Evaluation
- Human Growth and Development
- Family Counseling
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Career Counseling
- Trauma triage in child advocacy centers
- Gatekeeping in counselor education programs
- Counseling children and families
- Child sexual abuse
- Traumatic stress treatment attrition
- DeLorenzi, L., Bombka, M. and Tobey, M. (2014). "Trauma Triage at Child Advocacy Centers." Submitted for consideration to the Journal for Mental Health Counseling.
- Paladino, D. and DeLorenzi, L. (in press). "Counseling with older adolescents." In Counseling Children and Adolescents, Smith-Adcock, S.L. (ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Homrich, A., DeLorenzi, L., Godbee, B. and Bloom, Z. (2014). "Making the case for standards of conduct clinical training." Counselor Education and Supervision, 53(2), 136-144.
- de Armas DeLorenzi, L. (2012). "Teaching school counselors to work with English Language Learners effectively." In Preparing every teacher to reach English learners: A practical guide for teacher educators, Nutta, J. (ed.). Boston, MA: Harvard Education Press.
- Young, M., de Armas, L. and Cunningham, L. (2011). "Using Meditation in Addiction Counseling." Journal of Addiction and Offender Counseling, 32(1-2), 58-71.
- de Armas, L. and Bailey, A. (2009) "The balancing act of counseling multi-heritage families." In Counseling Individuals, Couples, and Families with Multiple Heritages, Henriksen, R. C. and Paladino, D. A. (eds.). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Kimemia, M., Daire, A.P. and DeLorenzi, L. (2011). "Caregiver burden and coping among caregivers of persons living with HIV and AIDS in Kenya." Manuscript submitted for publication to AIDS Care.