Assistant Professor of Counselor Education
Leigh DeLorenzi, Ph.D., is a licensed mental health counselor and counselor educator with a clinical specialty in trauma modalities, such as Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (E.M.D.R.) for adults and children. She is also the founding director of the Stetson University Trauma Counseling Certificate Program. Her research interests include developing standards of conduct in graduate counselor preparation programs, treatment attrition prevention for child sexual abuse victims, assessment development for survivors of concurrent forms of family violence, and triage decision-making at child advocacy centers. She has developed trainings and taught courses related to counseling children with trauma, family therapy, group counseling, theories of counseling, counseling techniques, career counseling, human growth and development, assessment and evaluation, practicum, and internship. She also serves as a volunteer trauma therapist, consultant, and researcher for Kids House of Seminole, in Sanford, FL.
- Ph.D., counselor education, University of Central Florida
- M.A., clinical mental health counseling, Rollins College
- B.S., communication, University of Miami
- Psychological Assessment and Evaluation
- Human Growth and Development
- Family Counseling
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Career Counseling
- Human Relations, Methods, and Skills
- Group Counseling
- Theories of Counseling
- Gatekeeping in counselor education programs
- Counseling children and families
- Child sexual abuse
- Traumatic stress treatment attrition
- DeLorenzi, L., Daire, A.P., & Bloom, Z.D. (In Press). Predicting treatment attrition for child sexual abuse victims: The role of child trauma and co-occurring caregiver intimate partner violence. Counseling Outcome Research and Evaluation.
- Kimemia, M., Daire, A.P. and DeLorenzi, L. (In Press). Caregiver burden and coping among caregivers of persons living with HIV and AIDS in Kenya. Journal of HIV/AIDS & Social Services.
- Paladino, D. and DeLorenzi, L. (In Press). "Counseling with older adolescents." In Smith-Adcock, S.L. (Ed), Counseling Children and Adolescents. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Homrich, A., DeLorenzi, L., Godbee, B. and Bloom, Z. (2014). Making the case for standards of conduct clinical training. Counselor Education and Supervision, 53(2), 136-144.
- de Armas DeLorenzi, L. (2012). Teaching school counselors to work with English Language Learners effectively. In Nutta, J. (Ed) Preparing every teacher to reach English learners: A practical guide for teacher educators. Boston, MA: Harvard Education Press.
- Young, M., de Armas, L. and Cunningham, L. (2011). Using Meditation in Addiction Counseling. Journal of Addiction and Offender Counseling, 32(1-2), 58-71.
- de Armas, L. and Bailey, A. (2009) The balancing act of counseling multi-heritage families. In Henriksen, R. C. and Paladino, D. A. (Eds.), Counseling Individuals, Couples, and Families with Multiple Heritages. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Phone: 407-718-2245