Associate Professor and Catalog Librarian
As cataloging librarian, Laura Kirkland oversees all materials added to the library's online catalog. She supervises the processing and mending of all library books and materials, and also manages the library's electronic journal subscriptions.
Kirkland is the editor of the Stetson Faculty Review - an online listing of publications and creative activities of Stetson faculty members. This annual publication began in 2001 and has been well-received by both faculty and administration.
Currently a member of the university's Professional Development Committee and the Tenure, Grievance, and Academic Freedom Committee, she also chairs the Library Research Prize Committee. She has also served as editor of the Florida Library Association News Digest and chaired the Northeast Florida Library Information Network Tech Services Interest Group.
- M.A., English, Stetson University, 2002
- M.A., library and information science, University of Iowa, 1990
- B.A., English, Luther College, 1988
Along with Debbi Dinkins, Kirkland presented a paper at the International Conference of the Book in Regensburg, Germany in September 2013: "An Uneasy But Powerful Alliance: Faculty Use of e-books." An article (written with colleague Jean Wald) detailing the results of their faculty survey was published in The International Journal of the Book in 2014.
- “A Powerful but Uneasy Alliance: Faculty Use of eBooks” (co-authored with Debbi Dinkins and Jean Wald). The International Journal of the Book 11 (3): 2014.
- The Relationship of Metadata to Item Circulation.” Cataloging and Classification Quarterly 51 (5): 2013.
- "It's What's Inside That Counts: Adding Contents Notes to Bibliographic Records and the Impact on Circulation" (co-authored with Debbi Dinkins). College and Undergraduate Libraries 13 (1): 2006.
- "Resources for Catalogers: An Annotated Bibliography." Cataloging and Classification Quarterly 40 (1): 2005.
- Stetson University Faculty Review (editor and compiler of annual publication, 2001 to present)
- Phone: 386-822-4027
- Fax: 386-740-3626