Kathy Jo Piechura-Couture
Professor of Education
Nina B. Hollis Institute of Educational Reform
Kathy Piechura-Couture, Ph.D., is a professor of education at Stetson University and serves on the research faculty of the Nina B. Hollis Institute of Educational Reform. Through her work with the Hollis Institute, she has been instrumental in the implementation and training of the single-gender initiative at Woodward Avenue Elementary, and at several others schools throughout the United States. She has been featured on MSNBC and in several documentaries for her expertise in the area of single-gender education. She currently serves on the advisory board of the National Association of Single Sex Public Education (NASSPE). She has worked hand-in-hand with teachers for over a decade researching the effect of the single-gender classroom choice.
- Ph.D., curriculum and instruction, University of South Florida
- M.A., emotional and behavior disorders, University of South Florida
- B.S., elementary education/emotional disturbance, Eastern Michigan University
- Educational Psychology
- Human Exceptionalities
- Comprehensive Strategies for ESOL
- Single-gender pedagogy
- Differentiation instruction
- Tichenor, M., Heins, E., and Piechura, K. (2010). "Five steps in creating a summer literacy camp for at-risk students." The Florida Reading Journal, 46(2), 39-43.
- Rhodes, W.C., Piechura-Couture, K., Doone, E. (2009). "Unifying Theory of Emotional Disturbance and the Life Impact Curriculum in Personal Constructivism: Theory and Applications." Edited by Larry M. Leitner and Jill C. Thomas. Pace University Press.
- Piechura-Couture, K. and Heins, E. (2009). "The boy factor." International Association of Special Education.
- Tichenor, M., Piechura, K. Heins, E., Dershimer, E., and MacIsaac, D. (2008). "Preparing teacher candidates to use gender-specific teaching strategies." Focus on Teacher Education, 8(4), 3-7
- Tichenor, M., Taylor, G., Piechura, K., and Heins, E. (2006). "The cats and the hatters: A summer literacy program for students at-risk." The Florida Reading Quarterly, 42(4), 37-39.
- Piechura, K.P., Heins, E.D., Roberts, D., MacIsaac, D., and Roberts, J. (2006). "The lunch bunch: Building literacy in a natural way." Florida Reading Quarterly.
- Special Education
- Single Gender Classes
- Teacher Assessment
- Office: 386-822-7080