Senior Professor of Sociology
In addition to teaching courses at Stetson University focused on social change and the environment, John Schorr has published and presented many articles related to the sociological impact of disasters, such as Hurricane Katrina, terrorist attacks, nuclear accidents and volcanic eruptions, on communities, and about those who are called to respond to those emergencies. He co-authored the book Demanding Democracy After Three Mile Island (1991) with Raymond L. Goldsteen.
Schorr has done extensive sociological research with first responders at Oklahoma City after the bombing there, and at the Pentagon, FDNY and in Shanksville, Penn., after the 9/11 attacks. He was a member of the FDNY 9/11 Behavioral Health Research Group and was a consultant on the design of a national Gallup survey on terrorism.
Schorr currently lives half the year in Thailand and has been a Fulbright Fellow in Germany and a Kellogg Fellow in Latin America.
- Ph.D., sociology, Brown University
- M.A., sociology, New School for Social Reseach
- B.A., sociology, Hartwick College
- Community-Based Research Junior Seminar
- Population, Society, and Environment
- Sociology of Developing Societies
- Sociology of the City
- Community sociology
- Sociology of disaster
- "Exposure to Bioterrorism and Mental Health Response Among Staff on Capitol Hill," Co-author with North, Pfefferbaum, Boudreaux, et.al., Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science, Vol. 7, No. 4.
- "Schools in the Shadow of Terrorism: Psychosocial Adjustment and Interest in Interventions Following Terror Attacks," Co-author with Felix, Gill, Pfefferbaum, Boudreaux, et al., Psychology in the Schools. (accepted for publication)
- "Performance Characteristics of the Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Checklist in Retired Firefighters Exposed to the World Trade Center Disaster," Annals of Clinical Psychiatry, Sydney Chiu, M.A Mayris P. Webber, Rachel Zeig-Owens, Jackson Gustave, Roy Lee, Kerry J. Kelly, Linda Rizzotto, Rita McWilliams, John K. Schorr, Carol S. North, and David J. Prezant. (accepted for publication)
- "Mental Health Outcomes In The FDNY Firefighter World Trade Center Cohort An Easy to Use, Computerized Self-administered Questionnaire to Identify Psychological Symptoms, PTSD and Counseling Service Use," Malachy Corrigan, Rita McWilliams, Kerry J Kelly, Justin Niles, Claire Cammarata, Kristina Jones, Daniel Wartenberg, William K. Hallman, Howard Kipen, Lara Glass, John K. Schorr, David J. Prezant, American Journal of Public Health. (accepted for publication)
- "Change in Smoking and Drinking After September 11, 2001, in a National Sample of Ever Smokers and Ever Drinkers," Betty Pfefferbaum, Carol S. North, Rose L. Pfefferbaum, Elaine H. Christiansen, John K. Schorr, Robert D. Vincent, and Angela S. Boudreaux. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, Volume 196, Number 2, February 2008
- "Comparing Psychological Responses to Terrorism In Residents of Two Communities Over Time" Betty Pfefferbaum, Rose L. Pfefferbaum, Elaine H. Christiansen, John K. Schorr, Robert D. Vincent, Sara J. Nixon, Carol S. North. Brief Treatment and Crisis Intervention, Vol. 6, No. 2, May, 2006
- "Persistent Physiological Reactivity in a Pilot Study of Partners of Firefighters After a Terrorist Attack, " Co-author with Betty Pfefferbaum, Phebe Tucker, Carol north, Hackyung Jeon-Slaughter. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 194(2), February, 2006, 128-131.
- "Responding to Terrorism in the USA: Firefighters Share Experiences in Their Own Words," with A. Boudreaux. Published as a chapter in The Trauma of Terrorism: Sharing Knowledge and Shared Care, An International Handbook, Yael Danieli, Danny Brom, Joe Sills, editors. The Haworth Press, New York
- Disaster and impact of terrorism
- Community change
- Population issues
- Urban issues
- Global issues concerning developing societies
- Phone: 386-822-7246
- Fax: 386-822-7245