Associate Professor of Computer Science
Hala ElAarag is the vice president and president-elect of the Consortium of Computer Sciences in College, was a counselor in the Mathematics and Computer Sciences Division of the Council of Undergraduate Research (C.U.R.) from 2011-2014, serves on the technical committee for many international conferences, and reviews for multiple journals. In 2011 and 2012, respectively, she was the vice general chair and general chair of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International (S.C.S.) Spring Simulation Multiconference. ElAarag was the co-general chair of the Communication and Networking Simulation Symposium in 2009, and since 2010 has served as the program chair and as a board member of the Consortium of Computing Sciences in Colleges Southeastern Region.
ElAarag is the 2012 recipient of the S.C.S.' Outstanding Service Award for outstanding and dedicated technical contributions and services to the modeling and computer simulation discipline and to S.C.S. In 2005, she received the Stetson University Research Award, and won the Best Paper Award at the 11th Communication and Networking Symposium (C.N.S. '09).
- Ph.D., computer science, University of Central Florida
- M.S., computer science, Alexandria University
- B.S., computer science, Alexandria University
- Introduction to Computer Science I (CSCI141)
- Computer Organization (CSCI201)
- Discrete Structures (CSCI211)
- Operating Systems (CSCI301)
- Computer Networks and Mobile Computing (CSCI304)
- Algorithms Analysis (CSCI31)
- Ethics and Technology (CINF351E) Junior seminar
- Senior Research I (CSCI498)
- Senior Research II (CSCI499)
- Transport protocols for wireless networks
- Mobile computing
- Sensor networks
- Cloud computing
- Computer security
- Memetic computing
- Computer music composition
- Network simulation
- Web proxy caching
- Computer networks
- Evolutionary computation
- Performance evaluation
- Computer science education
- Abhari A., ElAarag H., and Rajaei H., edited by, "Proceedings of the 2012 Spring Simulation Multiconference, 15th Communications and Networking Symposium 2012," Simulation Series Volume 44 Number 3, ISBN: 978-1-61839-785-0
- ElAarag H., Contributing editor, The Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, Volume 27, Number 2, December 2011, ISSN:1937-4771.
- ElAarag, H., Edited by, 2009, "Proceedings of The 12th Communications and Networking Simulation Symposium," part of Proceedings of the SCS Spring Simulation Multiconference, Society for Modeling and Simulation International, March 2009, ISBN: 1-56555-326-8
- ElAarag, H., Edited by, 2008, "Proceedings of The 11th Communications and Networking Simulation Symposium," part of Proceedings of the SCS Spring Simulation Multiconference, Society for Modeling and Simulation International, April 2008, ISBN: 1-56555-318-7
- ElAarag, H. and Romano, S., "A Quantitative Study of Web Cache Replacement Strategies using Simulation," Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International, Sage Publication, Published online before print July 25, 2011, doi: 10.1177/0037549711414152, Volume 88 Issue 5 May 2012 pp. 507 - 541
- Romano, S. and ElAarag, H., "A Neural Network Proxy Cache Replacement Strategy and its Implementation in the Squid Proxy Server," Neural Computing and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, Feb 2011, pp. 59-78, Springer-Verlag, DOI: 10.1007/s00521-010-0442-0
- ElAarag, H., "Hands-on Processor Design Experience for Computer Organization and Architecture Students," Computer in Education Journal, American Society for Engineering Education, Vol. XVIIII No. 3 July-September 2009, pp.51-55
- ElAarag, H., Moedinger, A., Hogg, C., "TCP Friendly Protocols for Media Streams over Heterogeneous Wired-Wireless Networks," Computer Communications, The International Journal for the Computer and Telecommunications Industry, Elsevier Publishing, Vol. 31, Issue 10, June 2008, pp. 2242-2256.
- Cobb, W. and ElAarag, H., "Web Proxy Cache Replacement Scheme Based on Back Propagation Neural Network," Journal of Systems and Software, Vol. 81, Issue 9, Sept 2008, pp. 1539-1558, doi:10.1016/j.jss.2007.10.024
- ElAarag, H. and Bassiouni, M., "A Reliable Congestion Control Mechanism for Geocasting in Mobile Wireless Networks," International Journal of Network Management, Volume 13, Issue 5, pp. 375-387, September 2003
- ElAarag, H." Using Split TCP for Multimedia Applications Over Wireless Networks," Journal of Internet Technology, special issue on Design of Wireless LANs,Volume 4, No. 3, pp.185-191, April 2003.
- ElAarag, H. and Bassiouni, M., "An Internet Friendly Transport Protocol for Continuous Media over Best Effort Networks," International Journal of Communications and Systems, Wiley and sons, 15:881-898, 2002.
- ElAarag, H., "Improving TCP Performance over Mobile Networks," ACM Computing Survey, Vol. 34, No.3, pp. 357-374, September 2002.
- ElAarag, H. and Bassiouni, M., "Performance Evaluation of TCP Connections in Ideal and Non-Ideal Network Environments," Computer Communications Journal, Elsevier Publications, v 24 n 18 pp. 1769-1779, Dec 1 2001.