Senior Professor of Family Enterprise; Former Director of the Family Enterprise Center; Thought Leader on Leadership Development (FEC/EMBA)
Gregory McCann is a Stetson alumnus, having graduated with a bachelor of business administration. A licensed CPA in Fla. (inactive) and member of the Florida Bar, McCann is an innovator as a teacher, author, consultant and former director of the award-winning Family Enterprise Center. As director, he led the effort to create the nation's first undergraduate major in the field of family enterprise, which helped the Center earn three (inter)national awards.
In January 2013, McCann became highly involved with Stetson University's Executive Masters of Business Administration (EMBA) program. He has led the effort to revitalize this program by creating a national group of innovators (called the "Think Tank"); recruiting three prominent leadership experts; and aligning the program with the personal and professional development of leaders.
He is actively involved in numerous professional organizations, including (former board member of) the Family Firm Institute and member of Association of Managers of Innovation. McCann has earned from the university both the Hand Award for research and creative and professional activity (2010) as well as the McEniry Award for Excellence in Teaching (2002-2003), Stetson University's highest award. From the School of Business Administration, he has earned the Faculty Awards: for Innovation (2012), Research (2009), Teaching (1999) and Professor of the Year (2000). He is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma, the honor society for AACSB accredited business programs (2003). He is also a consultant to family enterprises, a noted speaker (and member of the National Speakers Association), and author. He speaks, conducts workshops and consults internationally related to family enterprise, character, and innovation.
McCann is the author of two books Who Do You Think You Are? (2012) a book that addresses character and that follows up on his previous book, When Your Parents Sign the Paychecks (2007).
- J.D., University of Florida
- B.B.A., accounting, Stetson University
- Family Enterprise Profile
- Family Enterprise Capstone
- Family Enterprise Internship
- Business Law I
- Freshman Seminar - Applying Self-Awareness to College and Career
- "Redesigning Big Business - How Family Enterprise Can Save the Corporation" Catalyst Magazine, fall 2012.
- "The Enterprising Family: A values-based approach to cultivating shareholder value and an intentional culture" By Greg McCann and Nancy Barber, Summer 2012.
- Executive Coaching with Greg McCann
- Book, Who Do You Think You Are? Summer 2012.
- Book, When Your Parents Sign the Paychecks, Spring 2007.
- "Economy Next: Threats and Opportunities for the Family Business," Co-authored with Rich Morris, Family Business Magazine Fall 2011.
- "What if? The new 'normal' and its Implication for Family Business," Family Business Magazine Australia, by Greg McCann, September 2011.
- "Family Business Process Consulting: An Option Worth Considering," Fall 2011
- Journal of Business Cases and Applications: Hartwick Systems and Equipment Ltd. Written at Richard Ivey School of Business at The University of Western Ontario. "A case analyzing the entry of the next generation into a family business." Greg McCann, Jill Shipley, and Eugene J. Muscat (2009), Winter, Volume II, pp. 12-16.
- Published June 2008: International Journal of Learning and presented (as sole presenter) at the Learning Conference in June 2008 in Chicago. Collaborated with Ms. Jill Shipley, Senior Leader, Family Learning, GenSpring, on this peer-reviewed journal article: "I Don't Wanna Grow Up: The 8 Challenges Facing the Next Generation in Family Business."
- Published March 2008: E-Business Review and presented in March (Dr. Muscat as sole presenter) at the International Academy of E-Business Conference 2008 in San Francisco. Collaborated with Dr. Eugene Muscat, Professor, University of San Francisco, on this peer-reviewed journal article: "When Cultures Collide: How Family Business Interfaces with E-Business."
- Published June 2003 Family Business Review: "Where Do We Go From Here: Strategic Answers for University-Based Family Business Programs."
- McCann, G. and Upton, N. (Editors) Family Business Gathering 2000, "The Holistic Model: Rethinking the Role of the University-Based Family Enterprise Center," DeLand, Fla.: Stetson University. Mailed with cover letter from Stetson University's dean to every AACSB accredited business school dean in United States.
- McCann, G. and Upton, N. (Editors) Family Business Gathering 2001, "Destroying Myths and Creating Value in Family Business," DeLand, Fla.: Stetson University. Utilized as a textbook at Ohio State University.
- Family Business/Enterprise
- Next Generation
- Succession and Transitions
- Family Values
- Business Ethics
- Phone: 386-822-7425
- Fax: 386-822-7426