Professor of Art
Gary Bolding is an artist teaching painting and drawing. His work typically combines meticulous craftsmanship with quirky and ironic subject matter. His work has been in more than 25 solo exhibitions and 150 group shows internationally, including shows in New York City, Miami, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, England and Mexico. Bolding has won numerous awards in national and regional juried exhibitions, and studied at the Art Student's League of New York and the New York Academy of Art. He has taught at Stetson since 1989.
- M.F.A., Brooklyn College
- B.F.A., Hendrix College
- Painting I-IV
- Drawing I and II
- Mixed Media
- Open Studio
- His current project combines painting, drawing, original music and prose text to create a fictional town in southern Arkansas called Vaselina Springs.
- 2011: "Best of the South," Issue 73, Oxford American Magazine, cover image, Double Self-Portrait
- 2009: Prof. Dr. Michael Klant, Gary Bolding: "Itching and Scratching," 40-page catalog for 20-year retrospective at Stetson University
- 2008: Kahren Jones Arbitman and Susan M. Gallo, "Picturing Florida: From the First Coast to the Space Coast," pages 90-95, five color reproductions of my work and a biographical essay. Fresco Fine Arts Press, Albuquerque, N.M.
- 2006: Roberta Smith Favis, "Gary Bolding: From Window to Wall," a 28-page color exhibition catalog documenting a solo exhibition at the Polk Museum of Art in Lakeland, Fla.