While Gail Radley specializes in teaching first year English courses, she also teaches Intermediate Writing and a summer course on Literature for Children and Young Adults. Her most recent article for adults is a chapter in the book Wellness and Writing Connections (Evans 2010). The author of 21 books for children and young adults, Radley considers herself primarily a children's writer. For that audience, her work includes biographical sketches for Brilliant Star and the nonfiction series Vanishing from... (Carolrhoda, 2001). Her book The Golden Days (Macmillan, 1991 and Puffin, 1992) won an award from the Society of School Librarians International and was filmed in and around DeLand as "The First of May," featuring Julie Harris, Charles Nelson Reilly and Joe DiMaggio.
- M.A., English, Stetson University
- B.A., independent studies with an emphasis on creative writing, Mary Baldwin College
- College Writing
- Writing and Rhetoric
- Intermediate Writing
- Writing Workshop
- Writing for the Health of It
- Literature for Children and Young Adults
- Literature for children and young adults
- Therapeutic writing and literature of illness
- "'Writing with the Ink of Light on the Tablet of the Spirit': Coping with Chronic Pain and Other Health Challenges, " a chapter in Wellness and Writing Connections (Evans 2 Kyle Jeffries, Pilgrim. Wilmette, IL: Bellwood Press, 2010.
- "The Twice-Blessed Scribe" and "Three Calls to the Gate," historical stories published in a children's anthology, The Central Figures: The Bab, Vol.2, 2005.
- "A Potion in the Tea?" historical story published in a children's anthology, The Central Figures The Bab, Vol. 1, by the National Teacher Training Center. Wilmette, IL: Baha'i Publishing Trust, 2003.
- "Spiritual Quest in Young Adult Literature." ALAN Review. Spring/Summer 2001.
- Vanishing From... series of 4 nonfictions on endangered animals, Carolrhoda Books, 2001.
- "Coping with Death in Young Adult Literature." ALAN Review. Fall 1999.
- "Dear Gabby," preteen novel, Avon Books, 1998.
- Odd Man Out, preteen novel, Macmillan, 1995. Junior Library Guild selection, Young Hoosier Award nominee.
- The Spinner's Gift, picture book, North South Books, 1994.
- Rainy Day Rhymes, juvenile poetry anthology, Houghton Mifflin, 1992.
- The Golden Days, preteen novel, Macmillan, 1991. Viking Penguin paperback edition, 1992. Received highest honor for novels K-6 given by the Society of School Librarians International. South Carolina Children's Book Award '93-'94 nominee. Screenplay, entitled "First of May," featuring Julie Harris, Charles Nelson Reilly, Joe DiMaggio, by S.H.O. Entertainment.
- Children's literature
- Phone: 386-822-8896