Assistant Professor of Family Enterprise; Acting Director of the Family Enterprise Center
Francesco (Frank) Barbera is currently an assistant professor in family enterprise and the acting director of the Family Enterprise Center (FEC) at Stetson University. In conjunction with Babson College, he is also the team leader for Stetson University's Successful Transgenerational Entrepreneurship Practices (STEP) project.
Barbera received his Ph.D. from Bond University in Queensland, Australia, and also earned a master of commerce (with honours) degree from Bond in economics. Under an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, he was a research associate at the Australian Centre for Family Business (ACFB) in Queensland, Australia where he investigated Australian small to medium-sized family enterprises.
- Ph.D., Bond University
- M.Com. (with honours), economics, Bond University
- Personal, Professional and Leadership Development
- Case Studies in Family Business
Professor Barbera's research interests encompass a wide range of economic issues applied to family business, entrepreneurship and small business management. His research is regularly presented at international conferences and workshops, such as the Family Enterprise Research Conference (FERC), International Family Enterprise Research Academy (IFERA) and STEP summits.
Services to the Profession
- Editorial board, Family Business Review
- Journal of Small Business Economics
- Academy of Management Learning and Education Journal
- California Management Review
Awards and Recognition
- Family Firm Institute (FFI) (2014): Best Dissertation Award
- Seidman College of Business, Grand Valley State University (2014 and 2010): Family Owned Business Institute Scholar
- Family Enterprise Research Conference (FERC) (2014): Best Paper Award
- Family Enterprise Research Conference (FERC) (2010): Best Doctoral Paper Award
- Barbera, F. and Hasso, T. (2013). "Do we need to use an accountant? The performance and survival benefits to family SMEs." Family Business Review 26 (3) 271-292.
- Barbera, F. and Moores, K. (2013). "Firm ownership and productivity: a study of family and non-family SMEs." Small Business Economics 40(4), 953-976.
- Barbera, F., Khalid, A. and Rajaguru, G. (2013). "It's not Yen, Euro or Koala Bloc: Greenback is still dominant in East Asia." Australian Journal of Management (forthcoming).
- Phone: 386-740-2504