Professor of Political Science and Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies
Professor Huskey is a specialist in the politics and legal affairs of the USSR and the successor states of Russia and Kyrgyzstan. He is the author or editor of four books and has published 50 academic articles or book chapters on Soviet and post-communist affairs. His occasional pieces written for a general audience have appeared in publications such as the Christian Science Monitor, the Wall Street Journal, and Salon.com. He has also produced papers or given presentations to the U.S. State Department and other American government agencies as well as to the OECD, and he has given invited lectures at two dozen universities in the United States and abroad. Since 1999 he has held the William R. Kenan, Jr. chair in political science and Russian studies.
- Ph.D., London School of Economics and Political Science
- M.A., University of Essex
- B.A., Vanderbilt University
- Comparative Politics
- Russian Politics
- Russian Foreign Policy
- Central Asian Politics
- Ethnicity and Politics
- Western Political Philosophy
- Political opposition and elections in Kyrgyzstan
- The presidency, state bureaucracy, and legal affairs in Russia
- Russian Bureaucracy and the State: Officialdom from Alexander III to Vladimir Putin, co-editor and contributor, with Don Rowney (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009) [Introduction; Soviet Officialdom; Postcommunist Officialdom; The Politics-Administration Nexus in Postcommunist Russia; Conclusion; and translator of four chapters from French and Russian]
- Presidential Power in Russia, (M.E. Sharpe, September 1999).
- Executive Power and Soviet Politics: The Rise and Decline of the Soviet State, editor and contributor (M.E. Sharpe, 1992) [Introduction; Executive-Legislative Relations; The Administration of Justice: Courts, Procuracy, and the Ministry of Justice; The Rebirth of the Russian State].
- Russian Lawyers and The Soviet State: The Origins and Development of the Soviet Bar, (Princeton University Press, 1986). Russian language edition, "Rossiiskie advokaty i sovetskoe gosudarstvo," (Russian Academy of Sciences, 1993).