D. Dixon Sutherland
Professor of Religious Studies
As professor of religious studies, Dixon Sutherland specializes in religious ethics. From 1991 to 2011, he served as director of the Christian Ethics Institute, which sponsored a multitude of events in a wide range of topics. During those years he also directed the Stewart Lecture Series, which brought speakers including Jimmy Carter, Elie Wiesel, Jane Goodall and E.O. Wilson to Stetson University. In 1995, Sutherland helped create the Howard Thurman Lecture Series. Also working to establish the University Values Council, he served it in leadership capacities from 1998 to 2011. He is a graduate of Samford University and holds master's and doctoral degrees from the Southern Baptist Theology Seminary, where he specialized in biblical hermeneutics. Before coming to Stetson University, Sutherland taught at the Baptist Theological Seminary in Ruschlikon, Switzerland as professor of early church history and philosophy of religion. He is married to Kandy Queen-Sutherland with whom he has two children.
- Ph.D., Biblical hermeneutics, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Div., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Th., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.A., philosophy and religion, Samford University
- History of Early Christianity
- Frontiers in Bioethics
- The Ethics of Mortality
- Ethics of Violence and Non-Violence
- Christian theology
- Spatial hermeneutics
- War or Words? Interreligious Dialogue as an Instrument of Peace
- "From Terri Schiavo toward a Theology of Dying," in Resurrection and Responsibility: Essays on Theology, Scripture, and Ethics in Honor of Thorwald Lorenzen, Wipf and Stock, 2009.
- "A Theological Anthropology of Evil: A Comparison of Teilhard de Chardin and Paul Ricoeur," Zeitschrift fhr Systematische Theologie und ReligionsPhilosophie, 1992.
- "Society's Search for a Legal and Ethical Basis of Physician-Assisted Suicide," in Journal on Aging and Social Policy, 1997.
- "Last Rights?" Legal Liturgies on Physician Assisted Suicide, in The Stetson Law Review, 1996.
- "The Space of Creation: Theology's Search for an Ecological Ethics," in Communio Viatorum, A Theological Journal, 1994.
- "Space," in A New Handbook of Christian Theology, (Abingdon, 1991).
- Phone: 386-822-8931
- Fax: 386-822-8936