Daniel Vaughen has been a member of The Florida Bar for 50 years. He began his practice of law in the U.S. Army's Judge Advocate General's Corps, stationed in Okinawa, Japan, and Washington, D.C. After completing his military obligation, he entered the private practice of law in DeLand, Fla., representing private clients, the West Volusia Board of Realtors and the DeLand Housing Authority. He has served as municipal judge for the City of DeLand, general counsel for Nautilus Sports/Medical Industries, Inc., assistant county attorney for the County of Volusia and pro bono volunteer coordinator for Central Florida Legal Services (now Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida). He has been active in the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), serving twice as clerk of its Southeastern Yearly Meeting. He has also been active in the First Presbyterian Church of DeLand, Fla., and in the Central Florida Presbytery, serving on several committees. In addition, Vaughen has been active in many civic and charitable organizations in Volusia County. He was the Democratic nominee from District 7 for the U.S. House of Representatives in 2000, and a candidate for the same position in 2002.
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, Penn.
- B.A., history and political science, Stetson University, DeLand, Fla.
- Business Law
- Business Ethics
- Sports Ethics
- Christian Education
- Intellectual property
- Voting rights
- Civil and appellate procedure
- Constitutional law
- Governmental organizations and their ordinances, legislation and regulations
Mr. Vaughen was counsel of record in the following reported cases:
- Volusia County v. State, 417 So.2d 968, (Fla. 1982)
- Volusia County v. City of Daytona Beach, 420 So.2d 606 (Fla. 5th DCA 1982)
- Volusia County v. Pickens, 439 So.2d 276 (Fla. 5th DCA 1983)
- Clayton v. School Board of Volusia County, 667 So.2d 942 (Fla. 5th DCA 1996); 691 So.2d 1066 (Fla. 1997), and 696 So.2d 1215 (Fla. 5th DCA 1997)
- James v. County of Volusia, 683 So.2d 555 (Fla. 5th DCA 1996)
- County of Volusia v. Quinn, 700 So.2d 474 (Fla. 5th DCA 1997)
- Phone: 386-624-6479