Associate Professor of Education
Director of the Department of Education
Christopher Colwell comes to Stetson following a 34-year career in teaching and administration at the K-12 level. His experience includes work as an elementary, middle and high school principal as well as deputy superintendent. Colwell was the 1997 Florida Principal of the Year. Chris has served on numerous state and national boards and is a sought-after speaker regarding education policy and practice.
- Ed.D., University of Central Florida
- Ed.S., University of Central Florida
- M.Ed., Stetson University
- B.A., Stetson University
- Principles and Methods for Diverse Learners
- Improving Reading/Writing in the Secondary School
- Natural and Social Sciences in the Elementary School
- Social Foundations of Education
- Educational Management and Systems Planning
- Teacher effectiveness
- Teacher evaluation and system design
- Time and learning
- Labor management collaboration
- School leadership
- Impact: How Assistant Principals Can Be High Performing Leaders, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. Projected publication date Spring 2015.
- "Union-Management Collaboration: Finding Common Ground Through Student Achievement," The American School Board Journal. Projected publication date to be announced.
- "Assessing Teacher Performance: A Call for Transparency," Principal Leadership Journal. Projected publication date to be announced.
- "District and University Perspectives on Sustaining Professional Development Schools," The Professional Educator. projected publication date Fall 2014.
- "So You Want to be the Principal," Principal Leadership Journal, December, 2013.
- Teacher Evaluation Systems
- K-12 Curriculum, Instruction, Professional Development and Administration
- Teacher Union – School Board Collaboration and Communication
- Phone: 386-822-7073