Betty Thorne, Ph.D.
Professor of Statistics
Betty Thorne, Ph.D., author, researcher and award-winning teacher, is a professor of statistics in the School of Business Administration at Stetson University. She is a winner of Stetson University's McEniry Award for Excellence in Teaching, the highest honor given to a Stetson University faculty member, and is also a recipient of the university's Advisor of the Year Award and the School of Business Administration's Outstanding Teacher and Professor of the Year Awards. Thorne teaches in Stetson University's undergraduate and graduate programs (M.B.A., executive M.B.A. and J.D./M.B.A.) and the summer program in Austria. She is a co-author of numerous statistics textbooks that have been translated into several languages and adopted by universities both nationally and internationally. She serves on key school and university committees. Thorne, whose research has been published in various refereed journals, is a member of the American Statistical Association, the Decision Science Institute and other professional organizations. Thorne has served the School of Business Administration as the associate dean, the director of undergraduate studies and the chair of the Department of Decision and Information Science.
- Ph.D., Indiana University
- M.A., Indiana University
- B.S., Geneva College
- Business Statistics
- Introduction to Business Statistics
- Identity Theft: Its Impact on Consumers and Corporations
- Assessing business statistics learning outcomes
- Identity theft
- Information technology and business analytics
- Chambers, V., and Thorne, B. (2017). "A Financial Wellness Check-up for Students." Journal of the Academy of Business Education (Winter, 2017).
- Haddad, S., Thorne, B., Ahmed, V., and Sause, B. (2017). "Teaching Information Technology alongside Business Analytics: Case Study." Submitted (October 2017).
- Benibo, B., Chambers, V., and Thorne, B. (2016). "Breaking bad news to victims of identity theft: Lessons from medical doctors." Journal of Accountancy (August, 2016), pp. 30-4.
- Newbold, P., Carlson, W. L. and Thorne, B. (2013). "Statistics for Business and Economics," 8th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall
- Newbold P., Carlson, W. L. and Thorne, B. (2013). "Estadistica para administracion y economia," 8th ed. Madrid, Spain: Pearson Educacion, S.A.
- Thorne, B. (2013). "Identity Theft: Can Academia Help?" Proceedings of 2013 Academy of Business Disciplines Annual Conference. Ft. Myers Beach, Florida (November 7 - 9, 2013). Peer-reviewed.
- Thorne, B. (2012). "Does It All Add Up? What Quantitative Skills Do Employers Want?" Proceedings of 2012 Academy of Business Disciplines Annual Conference. Ft. Myers Beach, Florida (November 8 - 10, 2012). Peer-reviewed. Best of Session Paper.
- Thorne, B. and Tichenor, J. (2011). "Assessing Business Statistics Learning Outcomes Under Two Curricular Models." Proceedings of Academy of Business Disciplines 13th Annual Meeting, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. (November 10 - 12, 2011).
- Thorne, B. (2010). "Closing the Loop: From Rubric to Revisions." Proceedings of Academy of Business Disciplines 12th Annual Meeting, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. (November 10 - 13, 2010). Peer-reviewed.
- Newbold, P., Carlson, W. L. and Thorne, B. (2010). "Statistica," seconda edizione. Milano: Pearson Italia. http://hpe.pearson.it
- Knipe, P. J., Stryker, J. P. and Thorne, B. (2009). "Earnings Stripping Under Section 163(j): Status Quo Vadis?" International Business: Research, Teaching and Practice, 3(1), 91-105. firstname.lastname@example.org. Peer-reviewed.
- Michelson, S., Stryker, J. P. and Thorne, B. (2009). "The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: What impact has it had on small business firms?" Managerial Auditing Journal/Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 24(8, 2009), 743-766. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/loi/maj. Peer-reviewed.
- Phone: 386-822-7445