Associate Professor of Marketing
Benjamin Goss, Ed.D., serves as associate professor in Stetson University's sport business program, which is housed within the Department of Marketing. He credits the following quote for the development of his teaching philosophy: "It is better to know than to have, but it is better to understand than to know." A native of Natchez, Miss., he credits his parents and grandparents as his lifelong inspirations and considers John Paul Muczko to be his professional mentor.
Goss has received the 40 Under 40 Outstanding Business Leader Award from the Springfield Business Journal, The International Society for Business Disciplines Teaching Excellence Award and the Dean's Distinguished Research Fellow Award. In addition, his research has garnered six awards.
Goss co-founded the Journal of Sport Administration and Supervision, which was later absorbed by Sagamore Publishing and rebranded as the Journal of Applied Sport Management. He has consulted across the sport industry on projects for intercollegiate athletic properties, the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration and an economic development report for the Manning Passing Academy, the Thibodaux/Houma Bayou Region of Louisiana and the State of Louisiana.
An avid writer, Goss was selected to serve as a guest editor on the J.W. Wiley and Sons book Zebras and Cheetahs.
- Ed.D., The University of Southern Mississippi
- M.S., Louisiana Tech University
- B.S., Louisiana Tech University
- Sport Event Management
- Sport Leadership and Administration
- Sport Properties
- Empowerment of postmodern sports fans
- Breakdown of the invisible wall between the fans and the games
- Evolution of sport business practices
- Effective game attendance promotions
- China as an emerging sport marketplace
- Roy, D. P., Goss, B. D. and Jubenville, C. B. (2010). Influences on event attendance decisions for stock car automobile racing fans. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 8 (1/2), 73-92.
- Goss, B. D., Jubenville, C. B. and Crow, C. (2009). "Your future in the sport industry." In A. Gillentine and R. B. Crow (Eds.) Foundations of Sport Management. Morgantown, WV: Fitness Information Technology.
- Smith, G. N., Goss, B. D. and Jubenville, C. B. (2009). "Examining the impact of market size on game day security of multipurpose university facilities." Journal of Venue and Event Management, 1 (1), available at http://www.hrsm.sc.edu/JVEM/Vol1No1/MarketSizeonFacilitySecurity.pdf.
- Goss, B. D., Tyler, A. L. and Billings, A. C. (2009). "A content analysis of racial representations of NBA athletes on Sports Illustrated magazine covers, 1970-2003." In A.C. Billings (Ed.) Examining Identity in Mediated Sports. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Roy, D. P. and Goss, B. D. (2009). "A league of our own: Empowerment of sport consumers through fantasy sports participation." In N.K. Pope, K.A.L. Kuhn, and J. Forster (Eds.) Digital Sport for Performance Enhancement and Competitive Evolution: Intelligent Gaming Technologies. AustraliaMarketing.
- Johnson, G. R., Jubenville, C. B. and Goss, B. D. (2009). "Using institutional selection factors to develop recruiting profiles: Marketing small colleges and universities to prospective student-athletes." Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 19 (1), 1-25.
- Goss, B.D. (2009). "Taking the ballgame out to the world: An analysis of the World Baseball Classic as a global branding promotional strategy for Major League Baseball." Journal of Sport Administration and Supervision, 1 (1), 75-95.
- Jubenville, C. B., Goss, B. D. and Wright, K. E. (2008). "The impact of the NCAA's Recruiting Certification Program on recruiting violations." International Journal of Sport Management, 9 (2), 152-174.
- Phone: 386-822-7495