Associate Professor, Government Documents and Research Librarian
Barbara Costello has more than 25 years of experience in government information and reference librarianship in both academic and government agency settings. She administers the government documents collection at the duPont-Ball Library, which has been a selective federal depository library since 1887, when it became the first library in Florida to be given that designation by the U.S. Government Printing Office. Costello has been active and has held office in government documents groups of regional library consortia, as well as at state and national levels. While at Stetson, she has guided the Documents Department through the transition from a predominately tangible collection to one that is increasingly electronic-based. Her areas of expertise are census data, federal regulations, and congressional hearings and publications.
Costello also provides research assistance to library users and is responsible for library instruction for graduate level courses at the DeLand and Celebration campuses.
- M.L.S., Southern Connecticut State University, 1989
- B.A., political science, Boston College, 1980
- Accessibility and electronic delivery of federal government information--in particular, online Congressional committee hearing transcripts, federal agency databases, and government information policy.
- "Free U.S. Government Databases for Non-Depository Libraries." The Reference Librarian 54, no. 1 (2013): 1-22.
- "Moving in the Right Direction: Developments in the Online Availability of Full-Text Congressional Committee Hearing Transcripts." Government Information Quarterly 25, no. 1 (2008): 104-117.
- "Reference Service in the Digital Age: An Analysis of Sources Used to Answer Reference Questions." Journal of Academic Librarianship 31, no. 3 (2005): 263-272. Co-authored with Jane Bradford and Rob Lenholt.
- "Using Blackboard in Library Instruction: Addressing the Learning Styles of Generations X and Y." Journal of Academic Librarianship 30, no. 6 (2004): 452-460. Co-authored with Rob Lenholt and Judson Stryker.
- "A Snapshot of Availability of U.S. Congressional Committee Hearings: How Complete are Online Sources?" College and Undergraduate Libraries 10, no. 2 (2003): 73-87.
- "Utilizing Blackboard to Provide Library Instruction: Uploading MS Word Handouts with Links to Course Specific Software." Reference Services Review 31, no. 3 (2003): 211-218. Co-authored with Rob Lenholt and Judson Stryker.
- Phone: 386-822-7185