Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Anthony Appleton, assistant professor of chemistry at Stetson University, was born in Georgia and has had a lifelong love for nature and the ocean. After watching the movie Medicine Man, he decided to combine his love for nature with chemistry, which eventually led him to organic materials. While at the University of Miami, he studied under Dr. Tegan Eve, who nurtured Anthony's abilities as an educator; another professor, Dr. Raymo, gave Anthony his first chemistry research position, where he learned to love colorful (photonic) materials.
After completing his undergraduate work at the University of Miami, Anthony attended Georgia Tech where he completed his Ph.D. and, after completing his Ph.D., he and his wife moved to Palo Alto, Calif., so that he could work as a postdoctoral fellow with Professor Zhenan Bao in the Chemical Engineering Department at Stanford University. Anthony taught at three community colleges in the San Francisco Bay Area before coming to Stetson University in fall 2014.
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Postdoctoral Fellow in Environmental Sciences, Stanford University, 2011-2013
- Fellow, Center for Organic Photonics and Electronics, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2009-2010
- Ph.D., chemistry and biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2010
- B.S., chemistry and marine sciences (double major), University of Miami, 2006
- General Chemistry I
- Organic Chemistry I and II
- Beyond Fossil Fuels: Alternative Energy Choices
- Design and synthesis of organic materials for the following applications:
- Fresh water remediation
- Alternative energy
- Science policy
- Y. Zhou, T. Kurosawa, W. Ma, Y. Guo, L. Fang, K. Vandewal, Y. Diao, C. Wang, Q. Yan, J. Reinspach, J. Mei, A.L. Appleton, G.I. Koleilat, Y. Gao, S.C.B. Mannsfeld, A. Salleo, H. Ade, D. Zhao, Z. Bao. "High Performance All-Polymer Solar Cell via Polymer Side-Chain Engineering." Advanced Materials. 2014, Early View, DOI: 10.1002/adma.201306242.
- D.H. Kim, J. Mei, A.L. Ayzner, K. Schmidt, G. Giri, A.L. Appleton, M.F. Toney, Z. Bao. "Sequentially Solution-Processed, Nanostructured Polymer Photovoltaics Using Selective Solvents." Energy & Environmental Science. 2014, 7, 1103-1109.
- O. Knopfmacher, M. Hammock, A.L. Appleton, G. Schwartz, J. Mei, T. Lei, J. Pei, Z. Bao. "Highly Stable Organic Polymer FET Sensor for Selective Detection in the Marine Environment." Nature Communications. 2014, 5:2954, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms3954.
- J. Hachmann, R. Olivares-Amaya, A. Jinich, A.L. Appleton, M.A. Blood-Forsythe, L.R. Seress, S. Atahan-Evrenk, S. Er, R. Mondal, A. Sokolov, Z. Bao, A. Aspuru-Guzik. "Lead Candidates for High-Performance Organic Photovoltaics from High-Throughput Quantum Chemistry - the Harvard Clean Energy Project." Energy & Environmental Science. 2014, 7, 698-704.
- G. Schwartz, B.C-K. Tee, J. Mei, A.L. Appleton, D.H. Kim, Z. Bao. "Flexible Polymer Transistors with Exceptionally High Pressure Sensitivity for Application in Electronic Skin and Biomonitoring." Nature Communications. 2013, 4:1859, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms2832.
- J. Mei, Y. Diao, A.L. Appleton, L. Fang, Z. Bao. "Integrated Materials Design of Organic Semiconductors for Field-Effect Transistors." Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2013, 135, 6724-6746.
- L. Fang, Y. Zhou, Y. Yao, Y. Diao, W. Lee, A.L. Appleton, R. Allen, J. Reinspach, Z. Bao. "Side-chain Engineering of Isoindigo-Containing Conjugated Polymers Using Polystyrene for High Performance Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells." Chemistry of Materials. 2013, 25, 4874-4880.
- D.H. Kim, A.L. Ayzner, A.L. Appleton, K. Schmidt, J. Mei, M.F. Toney, Z. Bao. "Comparison of the Photovoltaic Characteristics and Nanostructure of Fullerenes blended with Conjugated Polymers with Siloxane-Terminated and Branched Aliphatic Sidechains." Chemistry of Materials. 2013, 25, 431-440.
- A.L. Appleton, S. Barlow, S.R. Marder, K.I. Hardcastle, U.H.F. Bunz. "N,N-Dihydrotetraazaheptacene: A Synthetic Strategy Towards Larger Acenes with Ambient Stability." Synlett. 2011, 14, 1983-1986.
- A.L. Appleton, S.M. Brombosz, S. Barlow, J.S. Sears, J.L. Bredas, S.R. Marder, U.H.F. Bunz. "Effects of Electronegative Substitution on the Optical and Electronic Properties of Acenes and Diazaacenes." Nature Communications. 2010, 1:91. DOI: 10.1038/ncomms1088.
- Phone: 386-822-7911