Professor of Environmental Science and Studies
Dr. Abbott’s training in geography informs his research on the human-environment interface. His work incorporates mixed methods (quantitative and qualitative) to link policy with unintended environmental outcomes at varying scales (for example, local responses to national policies) using the tools of political ecology. He has led multiple excursions to Latin America and published in numerous scholarly journals. His primary work is training students to excel beyond graduation, having mentored more than 50 Senior Research Projects, with graduates charting careers in research, activism, environmental enforcement, environmental policy, education, entrepreneurship and environmental law.
- Ph.D., geography, University of Minnesota, 2002
- M.A., geography, University of Georgia, 1994
- B.S., geography, University of Georgia, 1992
- Cultural and Political Ecology
- Using and Making Maps (Introduction to GIS)
- Global Perspectives on Food Production
- Latin American Spaces and Place
- Regional Interest in Latin America with Andean Expertise
- Sustainable Agriculture and Agricultural Biodiversity
- Alternative Energy, Energy Conservation, and Associated Policy
- William Bartram (Southern Naturalist)
- In progress Geographic Representations of William Bartram. Book chapter in “Mapping Nature Across the Americas.”
- 2014 Brady, Kelly and J. Anthony Abbott. "Residential development and habitat fragmentation effects on gopher tortoise (Gophorus polyphemus) population densities." The Florida Geographer, 45: 4-13
- 2012 Abbott, J. Anthony and Kiryssa Kasprzyk. "Hot air: Correlating university climate action plans with state greenhouse gas emissions policy within the federal climate change policy vacuum." The Professional Geographer. Available online.
- 2011.03 Abbott, J. Anthony. "Public Support Systems and Permitting Procedures for Wind Power in the United States," in Energía eólica: Cuestiones jurídicas, económicas y ambientales, edited by Masao Javier López Sako, published by Thomson-Civitas (Spain).
- 2010.07 Abbott, J. Anthony. "The localized and scaled discourse of conservation for wind power in Kittitas County, Washington." Society and Natural Resources, 23: 969-985.
- 2009.09 Abbott, J. Anthony and Dan Krinsky. "Identifying prospective sites for industrial solar power facilities in eastern central Florida using geospatial analysis." The Florida Geographer, 40, 62-77.
- 2009.06 Hill, Lauren L. and J. Anthony Abbott. "Surfing as a source of activism? A case-study of Floridian surfers and environmental action." Southeastern Geographer, 49(2), 157-170.
- 2009.01 Hill, Lauren L. and J. Anthony Abbott. "Surfacing tension: toward a political ecological critique of surfing representation." Geography Compass, 3(1), 275-296.
- 2006.06 Abbott, J. Anthony. "Measuring thermal variations in a valley environment using a team," field project designed by students. The Journal of Geography, 105(3), 121-128.
- 2006.03 Abbott, J. Anthony and Vernon Meentemeyer. "Vegetation effects on suburban air conditioning." Urban Geography, 26(6), 558-564.
- 2005.05 Abbott, J. Anthony. "Counting beans: Agrobiodiversity, indigeneity, and agrarian reform." The Professional Geographer, 57(2), 198-212.
- 2003.01 "In situ conservation: An Ecuadorian case study." Scholarship for Teaching: Case Studies in Latin American Geography, Vol. 1.
- 1995.01 Meentemeyer, Vernon, J. Anthony Abbott, and Brad Taylor. "Meteorological measurements for the prediction of summer air conditioning loads at suburban residences." Proceedings of the Ninth Conference on Applied Climatology, American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Phone: 386-822-7008