Alan Green, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Department Chair of Economics
Global Development Program Coordinator
Alan Green is a research economist and teacher; his work focuses on international development, trade and poverty. His academic research on economic development and international trade is published in journals such as the Journal of Development Studies, Kyklos and the Review of International Economics. Dr. Green also has recently co-authored a paper on STEM persistence and attainment in higher education with Danielle Sanderson, a Stetson graduate who began the project in her senior year. As a teacher, Green focuses on engaging students with an interactive approach that encourages critical thinking. He conducts research on effective pedagogy and has publications in the International Review of Economics Education and The Journal of Economics Education. He is currently implementing team-based learning in multiple courses and conducted research on its effectiveness in the economics classroom. Dr. Green has also joined the development team f or an NSF grant that was awarded to promote team-based learning in economics.
- Ph.D., applied economics and management, Cornell University, 2009
- M.A., international relations, University of Chicago, 2004
- B.A., political science, Furman University, 2003
- Essentials of Economics I
- Essentials of Economics II
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Economic Development and Human Progress
- Foundations of Globalization
- International Economics
- Game Theory
- International poverty
- Green, Alan, and Danielle Sanderson (2017) "The Roots of STEM Achievement: An Analysis of Persistence and Attainment in STEM Majors." The American Economist (published online, August 2, 2017)
- Green, Alan (2016) "Contracts Do Matter: Robust Evidence of an Optimal Level of Legal Formalism in Developing Countries." The Journal of Development Studies: 1-16.
- Green, Alan (2016) "Democracy and institutions in postcolonial Africa." Journal of Institutional Economics (2016): 1-25.
- Green, A. (2016) "Significant returns in engagement and performance with a free teaching app" The Journal of Economic Education, 47 (1), 1-10.
- Green, Alan (2014) "The Case for the Traditional Classroom," forthcoming, International Review of Economics Education.
- Green, Alan (2013) "The Classroom as Policy Laboratory: Using a Classroom Simulation to Experience Macroeconomic Policy," forthcoming, Journal of Finance and Economics Education.
- Green, Alan (2013) "Estimating the Effects of Democratization in African Countries: A Simultaneous Equations Approach." Economic Systems 37 no. 4 pp. 555-571. December 2013.
- Green, Alan and Moser, C. (2013). "Do Property Rights Institutions Matter at the Local Level? Evidence from Madagascar." Journal of Development Studies 49 no. 1 pp. 95-109.
- Green, Alan and de Gorter, H. (2011). "Analyzing the System of Preferential Tariffs for Least Developed Countries." Review of International Economics 19 no. 3 pp. 436-448.
- Green, Alan (2011). "Institutions Matter, but in Surprising Ways: New Evidence on Institutions in Africa." Kyklos 64 no. 1 pp. 87-105.
- Green, Alan (2011). "What Can We Predict About Libya and the Arab Spring from Statistical Studies?" Statistics, Politics and Policy 2 no. 1. Article 5 (commentary and ideas).
- Green, Alan (2016) "The Household Analysis of Comparative Development: An Empirical Replication." (under review).
- Green, Alan (2016) "TBL Fridays: Using Policy Applications for Effective Team-based Learning in an Introductory Class."
- Green, Alan and Daniel Humphrey (2016) "Do Actions Speak Louder than Words?"
- Green, Alan and James Russo (2016) "Institutions and the Stages of Growth"
- Green, Alan (2015) "Linking Micro Theory with Macro Evidence: Analyzing the Impact of Institutions through Hierarchical Linear Modeling"
- Green, Alan (2017) "Here's what a responsible budget looks like." Op-Ed. Tampa Bay Times. St. Petersburg, FL. March 17, 2017.
- Green, Alan (2017) "How to fix the health care market." Op-ed. Tampa Bay Times. St. Petersburg, FL. January 10, 2017.
- Green, Alan (2013) "How to Win the Game of Shutdown Chicken." Op-Ed. Tampa Bay Times. St. Petersburg, FL. September 24, 2013.
- Green Alan (2013) "Paying for Benefits, Getting None." Op-Ed. Tampa Bay Times. St. Petersburg, FL. May 19, 2013.