Associate Professor and Catalog Librarian
As Cataloging Librarian, Laura Kirkland oversees all materials added to the library's online catalog, except for Periodicals and Government Documents. She supervises the processing and mending of library books and materials, and is presently overseeing an inventory of the library's physical collection.
Kirkland is the editor of the Stetson Faculty Review, an online listing of publications and creative activities of Stetson faculty members. This annual publication began in 2001 and has been well-received by both faculty and administration.
Currently a member of the Gender Equity Council, Kirkland has served on the Professional Development Committee, as Library Representative on the Faculty Senate, on the Library Research Prize Committee,and on the Women and Gender Studies Committee. She has also chaired the Central Florida Library Consortium Cataloging Interest Group and the Florida Library Assocation Technical Services Interest Group.
- M.A., English, Stetson University, 2002
- M.A., Library and Information Science, University of Iowa, 1990
- B.A., English major, French minor, Luther College, 1988
- During her recent sabbatical leave, Kirkland analyzed the catalog's search logs and compared the results with item circulation records in an effort to learn how the library's patrons are searching the catalog, and to what extent those searches enable users to find useful items in the library's physical collection. She is currently researching the possible impact of ontologies on library catalog search results.
- "It's What's Inside That Counts: Adding Contents Notes to Bibliographic Records and the Impact on Circulation" (co-authored with Debbi Dinkins). College and Undergraduate Libraries 13 (1): 2006.
- "Resources for Catalogers: An Annotated Bibliography." Cataloging and Classification Quarterly 40 (1): 2005.
- Stetson University Faculty Review (editor and compiler) http://www2.stetson.edu/library/publications_facultyreview.php