Dean, School of Music
Jean Ohlsson West serves as Dean of the Stetson University School of Music, where she holds the rank of Professor. Founding director of the Community School of Music, she later taught flute and music history prior to assuming administrative duties in 2004. A flutist with the faculty wind trio Tres Vientos, she continues to perform within the university setting and beyond.
Dr. West has been actively involved in the Florida Flute Association, twice serving as FFA president and board chair. She has performed at conventions of the National Flute Association and served as audition and competition adjudicator. She was long associated with Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp (MI), teaching flute and twice touring with the International Jazz Ensemble directed by her husband George.
Dr. West holds degrees from James Madison University and The Ohio State University. She has taught at CSU--Sacramento and Heidelberg College (OH) and was principal flutist with the Baton Rouge Symphony and Opera Orchestra.
- D.M.A., Flute Performance, The Ohio State University
- M.A., Music History, The Ohio State University
- B.M.Ed., James Madison University
- Founding flutist, Tres Vientos faculty wind trio. CD Tres Vientos, 2000.
- Active performer within the university setting and beyond
- Music as a Profession
- CD Tres Vientos, 2000