Affiliate Faculty, M.F.A of the Americas
Cyriaco Lopes is a Brazilian visual artist interested in systems of representation, language, and politics.
Lopes has exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in Rio de Janeiro, the Museum of Art of São Paulo (MASP), El Museo del Barrio in NYC, the Centre Wallonie Bruxelles in Paris, Casa Degli Artisti in Milan, among many other international venues. His work has been curated by artists such as Lygia Pape, Janine Antoni, and Luciano Fabro, as well as by art critics such as Paulo Herkenhoff and Adriano Pedrosa. He is the winner of the NYC World Studio Foundation Award, the Contemporary Art Museum Saint Louis Project Award, the São Paulo Phillips Prize of trip to Europe.
He has collaborated with poet Terri Witek since 2005. Their performances have been seen at the National Academy in Lisbon, Portugal, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia, the Salford Museum, in Manchester, England, and the Atlantic Center for the Arts, FL. In June of 2017 they had a large solo show at Oi Futuro Center for Art & Technology in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The artist holds two MFAs: one in Imaging and Digital Arts, UMBC, Baltimore (thesis chair: Dr. Kathy O'Dell), and the other in Visual Languages, UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro (Thesis Chair: Dr. Paulo Venâncio Filho). He also attended artist's residencies such as Skowhegan, Parque Lage and the London Project.
Lopes is an associate professor of photography and deputy chair of the Art & Music department at John Jay College/the City University of New York.
- M.F.A., imaging and digital arts, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 2002
- M.F.A., visual languages (art history/studio arts), Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1999
- B.F.A., painting, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1993
- Poetry in the Expanded Field
- Systems of representation
- Queer issues
- Cultural exchanges between the global North and South
- 2017 Minotauros, Oi Futuro Center for Art & Technology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 2017 The Rule of Law, Thessalonica Museum of Contemporary Art. Greece
- 2017 Excavations, Atlantic Center for the Arts, FL
- 2016 TransAmaZonica, Miami Praticas Contemporaneas, Festival Internacional de Arte & Cine Queer, Bogota, Colombia, Curator: Adler Murada
- 2016 Coisas de Viado, Atelier 397, São Paulo, Brazil, Curator: Yann Beauvais
- 2016 Correntes/Currents, National Academy, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2016 Correntes/Currents, Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts, PA
- 2014 Currents/Correntes, Crisp Ellert Art Museum, St. Augustine, FL
- 2014 All Love is Stolen, Blue Gallery, Chania, Greece
- 2014 22nd Seoul International Art Festival, Chosunilbo Museum, Seoul, Korea.
- 2013 Crimes Against Love (You are the Problem), Kabine Nadire, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2013 Membranes, Armenian Museum for Contemporary Art, Yerevan, Armenia
- 2013 Ariadne, Salford Museum, Manchester, England
- 2012 Crimes Against Love, President's Gallery, John Jay College, CUNY
- 2012 Queer is Where the Heart Is, Samtökin 78, Reykjavík, Iceland