Dr. Betty Thorne
Associate Dean and Professor of Statistics
Dr. Betty Thorne, author, researcher and award-winning teacher, is Associate Dean and Professor of Statistics in the School of Business Administration at Stetson University. Winner of Stetson's McEniry Award for Excellence in Teaching, the highest honor given to a Stetson faculty member, she also is a recipient of Stetson Business School's Outstanding Teacher and Professor of the Year Awards. Dr. Thorne teaches in Stetson's undergraduate and graduate programs (MBA, Executive MBA, and JD/MBA at Stetson's College of Law), in Stetson's summer program in Austria, and in the Executive Passport Program. She is co-author of numerous statistics textbooks that have been translated into several languages and adopted by universities, nationally and internationally. She serves on key school and university committees. Dr. Thorne, whose research has been published in various refereed journals, is a member of the American Statistical Association, the Decision Science Institute, and other professional organizations.
- Ph.D, Indiana University
- M.A., Indiana University
- B.S., Geneva College
- Assessing Business Statistics Learning Outcomes
- Business Statistics
- Current Issues in Decision Sciences
- Contemporary Business Issues: Fundamental Statistical Management Techniques
- Newbold, P., W. L. Carlson, and B. Thorne (2012). "Statistics for Business and Economics," 8th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall
- Thorne, B. and J. Tichenor (2011). "Assessing Business Statistics Learning Outcomes Under Two Curricular Models." Proceedings of Academy of Business Disciplines 13th Annual Meeting, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. (November 10 - 12, 2011).
- Thorne, B. (2010). "Closing the Loop: From Rubric to Revisions." Proceedings of Academy of Business Disciplines 12th Annual Meeting, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. (November 10 - 13, 2010). Peer-reviewed.
- Newbold, P., W. L. Carlson, and B. Thorne (2010). "Statistica," seconda edizione. Milano: Pearson Italia. http://hpe.pearson.it
- Knipe, P. J., J. P. Stryker, and B. Thorne (2009). "Earnings Stripping Under Section 163(j): Status Quo Vadis?" International Business: Research, Teaching and Practice, 3(1), 91-105. Journal@AIBSE.org. Peer-reviewed.
- Michelson, S., J. P. Stryker, and B. Thorne (2009). "The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: what impact has it had on small business firms?" Managerial Auditing Journal/Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 24(8, 2009), 743-766. www.emeraldinsight.com/maj.htm. Peer-reviewed.