Dr. J. Anthony Abbott
Associate Professor of Geography and Environmental Science
As a Political Ecologist based in geographic traditions and mixed methods research (qualitative and quantitative), my research foci include agricultural biodiversity, clean energy and greenhouse gas emissions policy, sustainability institutions, and a longstanding regional interest in the Americas, especially the Andean countries. I am strongly oriented to research collaborations with students.
- Ph.D. University of Minnesota, 2002
- M.A. University of Georgia, 1994
- B.S. University of Georgia, 1992
- Currently characterizing sustainability intiatives in higher education.
- Earth Affecting People, w/ Lab
- Latin American Spaces and Places
- Geographic Information Systems and Science
- Field Methods
- Environmental Science Seminar
- Cultural and Political Ecology
- Sustainability Studies
- Senior Research Proposal/Project
- 2012: Abbott, J. Anthony and Kiryssa Kasprzyk. "Hot air: Correlating university climate action plans with state greenhouse gas emissions policy within the federal climate change policy vacuum." The Professional Geographer. Available online.
- 2011.03: Abbott, J. Anthony. "Public Support Systems and Permitting Procedures for Wind Power in the United States," in Energía eólica: Cuestiones jurídicas, económicas y ambientales, edited by Masao Javier López Sako, published by Thomson-Civitas (Spain).
- 2010.07 Abbott, J. Anthony. "The localized and scaled discourse of conservation for wind power in Kittitas County, Washington." Society and Natural Resources, 23: 969-985.
- 2009.09 Abbott, J. Anthony and Dan Krinsky. "Identifying prospective sites for industrial solar power facilities in eastern central Florida using geospatial analysis." The Florida Geographer, 40, 62-77.
- 2009.06 Hill, Lauren L. and J. Anthony Abbott. "Surfing as a source of activism? A case-study of Floridian surfers and environmental action." Southeastern Geographer, 49(2), 157–170.
- 2009.01 Hill, Lauren L. and J. Anthony Abbott. "Surfacing tension: toward a political ecological critique of surfing representation." Geography Compass, 3(1), 275-296.
- 2006.06 Abbott, J. Anthony. "Measuring thermal variations in a valley environment using a team," field project designed by students. The Journal of Geography, 105(3), 121-128.
- 2006.03 Abbott, J. Anthony and Vernon Meentemeyer. "Vegetation effects on suburban air conditioning." Urban Geography, 26(6), 558-564.
- 2005.05 Abbott, J. Anthony. "Counting beans: Agrobiodiversity, indigeneity, and agrarian reform." The Professional Geographer, 57(2), 198-212.