Ann Roberts Small
Professor of Music Education
Ann Roberts Small has authored a number of articles in music education journals and frequently conducts workshops and clinics in music education methods and children's choir techniques. She is on the editorial board of the Choral Journal. She has served as an adjudicator for various choral festivals and conducted All-State choruses in several states. Her choirs have appeared on regional and national conventions of MENC and ACDA. Dr. Small earned the Artist-Teacher Diploma from the Choral Music Experience Institute for Choral Teacher Education.
At Stetson, Dr. Small directs the music education program. She is founder and was director of the University Children's Choir for 26 years. She recently founded and is director of Inspirare, a community chorus of 60 women.
- Ph.D., Florida State University
- M.Ed., Auburn University
- B.M.E., Wheaton College
- Assessment and Evaluation of Learning in Music
- Student Teaching
- Music in the Elementary School
- Professional Music Educator
- "I love that children's choir sound! ..and what sound would that be?" The Choral Journal (Repertoire and Standards), May, 1998, p.33.
- "When Words Fail Us," The Choral Journal (Repertoire and Standards), September 1997, pp. 33-34
- "One Grand Alleluia," The Choral Journal (Repertoire and Standards), March, 1997, p.43.
- "A Place of Community: Will you, won't you. ..join the dance?" The Choral Journal (Repertoire and Standards), December, 1996, pp.36-37
- "Pacing: The Tempo of Teaching." In The Best of MEJ (Music Educators Journal): Elementary General Music, pp.21-23. Edited by Betty Atterbury. Reston, Virginia: Music Educators National Conference, 1992. (Originally appeared in the May 1979 Music Educators Journal)
- "Music Teaching and Critical Thinking: What Do We Need To Know?" Music Educators Journal 74 (September 1987) 46-49.
- "Power Struggles in the Music Class: Win, You Lose!" Florida Music Director 38 (March 1985) 8-9.
- "The Effect of a Simultaneous Melodic Stimulus on Harmony Intonation of College Singers." Psychology of Music: The Journal of the Society for Research in Psycholoay of Music and Music Education 10, no.2 (1983): 18-25.
- "The Effect of Male and Female Vocal Modeling on Pitch-Matching Accuracy of First-Grade Children." Journal of Research in Music Education 31 (Fall 1983): 227-233 (coauthor, Frances L. McCachern, Meredith College).
- "Instrument Association Skills: Children in First and Second Grades." Journal of Research in Music Education 29 (Spring 1981) 39-46 (coauthor, Dawn C. Wooderson, Pennsylvania State University).