About the Center for Community Engagement
Founded in 2007, the Center for Community Engagement is the hub for community engagement at Stetson University. The center is located across the street from the Hollis Center in between the Cross Cultural Center and the Counseling Center (see campus map). It's staffed by two full-time professional staff members, two full-time AmeriCorps*VISTAs and 16 student employees.
The mission of the Center for Community Engagement is to achieve student learning through community impact.
The Center for Community Engagement plays the lead institutional role in strategizing, building and maintaining a nationally recognized, campus-wide social justice and community engagement program delivered in and through both curricular and co-curricular avenues. We support the Mission of Stetson University by "prepar[ing] [students] to reach their full potential as informed citizens of local communities and the world" and "encouraging all members [of the Stetson University community] to ... commit to active forms of social responsibility."
The Center for Community Engagement is locally, regionally and nationally recognized for its excellence in community engagement:
- President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll (National Finalist, 2013)
- Bonner Foundation High-Impact Initiative - First Cohort (2011-2014)
- Florida Campus Compact Engaged Campus of the Year (2012)
- Florida Campus Compact Community Partnership of the Year (2013)
- United Way of Volusia/Flagler Counties Outstanding Overall Civic/Community Volunteer of the Year (2013)
- Washington Monthly "Best Colleges in the Country" for contributions to the public good (Sixth out of 684, 2013)
- Carnegie Classification for Community Engagement: Curricular Engagement and Outreach & Partnerships (2008)