Understanding who you are and how your audiences perceive you is the first step to learning how to successfully speak to them. Expressing Stetson University's brand in a distinct, verbal/written style is our brand voice. Getting the brand message across in a consistent manner without overselling is key. Blending academia with authenticity and sincerity is a fine art that balances intellect with heart. We strive to talk with our audience, not at them. The Stetson University experience is valuable. We should not have to oversell it.
A brand voice translates the brand strategy into a distinct written style. Just as the look and feel express the brand visually, the voice expresses the brand in text. Stetson University has a unique personality and a voice to match. As the catalyst for a meaningful life, we challenge what's expected, especially when what's expected is impersonal, outdated or elitist in tone.
Below are some guidelines that will help you embrace the Stetson University voice. To get the message across, the reader must "hear" the heart that's in it. If you only write with your head, the inevitable result will not be as strong. Be sincere. Be empathetic.
Stetson University has a strong story to tell and a value that sets us apart. Here are some voice guidelines that might help you in writing for the university:
- Give your Stetson University audience the benefit of doubt. Recognize and respect that they, the readers, are leveraging their future in pursuit of success, so talk to them like you would a friend or colleague.
- Get passionate - but keep it "real." Let your enthusiasm and feelings show.
- Go for the unexpected. Hey, you are inspired - show it, act it, live it. If you believe you're different, let it show - the audience will respond.
- Keep it light when appropriate. Think "smile" when you write. Positivity and a sense of humor go a long way with audiences.
- Keep things fresh. Challenge yourself to find new and interesting ways to express the same idea. Think about the story and tell it.
- Use inclusive language (all of us, we, together), and remember, no two people are the same, but the drive to succeed and connect in a meaningful way is consistent among all audiences.
- Write to help people, rather than just bombarding them with information. Show them that you and the university get it. "Keep it simple stupid" still applies.
Our audience is smart and driven and we need to be on their level. So no matter what the topic is, the purpose is always the same:
- Build a life-long relationship
- Offer help and solutions
- Deliver only the information the customer wants
- Drive action
- Deliver the brand promise points of differentiation when applicable
Check out some samples of the brand voice in action.