Stetson University provides the required curricula for students planning careers in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and allied health fields. Students may work on any major as long as they include in their curriculum the required science core courses.
Stetson University's pre-health program is administered by the university's Health Professions Advisory Committee, composed of faculty representatives from biology, chemistry, integrative health science and the social sciences. This committee oversees the advising and preparation of students for the graduate school admission process and provides an evaluation packet as part of each student's application.
The required core courses may vary slightly from one professional school to another, but the prescribed courses include: math, English, general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry and physics. Most core courses should be completed by the end of the junior year.
In addition to core courses and those required for the student's major, academic work should be distributed to include humanities, social sciences and advanced science courses for a broad academic background. Extracurricular activities, particularly experience in the student's field of interest, are also required for admission to a graduate program.
- Caleb Matthews '13 and Parker Chapman '10 joined the first year class at the University of Florida College of Medicine.
- Dane Moran '12 is in his second year at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Maria Harper '11 just received a master's degree from Oxford University in medical anthropology and is starting the medical program at Duke University this fall.
- Melissa Palmer '13 and Cliff Bryan '12 are in dental school at the University of Florida and the Lake Erie College of Medicine in Bradenton, respectively.
- Adam Rawji '12 is starting his second year in the osteopathic medical program at Nova Southeastern University.
- Nicole Giordano '11 is attending the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Samantha Roughton '13 is attending the pharmacy program at the University of Florida.
- Meghan Johnston '11 and Jeremy Wright '12 are in the physician assistant program at Nova Southeastern-Orlando.
- David Adelman '11 is studying physical therapy at Florida International University.
- Ashley Rutherford '12 is attending the public health graduate program at the University of Kentucky.
The pre-health program has seen many of its alumni go on to illustrious graduate schools and to successful careers. To read more about other alumni of the pre-health program, see the program's Alumni in the Health Professions page.