Stetson University provides the required curricula for students planning careers in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and allied health fields. Students may work on any major as long as they include in their curriculum the required science core courses.
Stetson's pre-health program is administered by the university's Health Professions Advisory Committee, composed of faculty representatives from biology, chemistry, integrative health science and the social science. This committee oversees the curriculum, advising and preparation for the graduate school admission process.
The required science core courses may vary slightly from one professional school to another, but the prescribed courses include: calculus, English, general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry and college physics, among others. Core courses should be completed by the end of the junior year.
In addition to core courses and those required for the student's major, academic work should be distributed to include humanities, social science and advanced science courses for a broad academic background.
- Jonathan Alvarez '08 (Iowa), Michael Gostigian '08 (Nova Southeastern), Nathan Harper '09 (Southern California) and Mary Kay Shields '04 (Louisville) are studying to be dentists.
- Carlton Lewis '07, Gail Ferek '07 and Alex Leone '08 are in medical school at the University of Florida.
- Alvin deTorres '10 is attending the University of Central Florida College of Medicine.
- Maureen O'Shaughnessy '07 and Christina Schafer '08 are attending the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
- Francesca Dimou '06 is studying medicine at the University of South Florida.
- Tricia Dorne '07 and Adam Holers '07 are attending the Florida State University College of Medicine.
- Other students are studying medicine at institutions outside Florida. They are: Stephen Shinn '09 (Ohio State), Jonathan Charles '08 (Guadalajara), James Dunlop '98 (Vermont), Billy McSwain '07 (Vanderbilt), Chris Riccard '08 (Ross), Matt Deyo-Svendsen '09 (U Minn-Duluth), Suzie Duwaik '03 (Ross), Brittney Ewing '03 (Louisville), Alex Juusela '08 (St. Georges) and Andres Rodriguez '09 (South Carolina).
- Donald Lock '04, Jeffrey Cara '09 and David Stewart '06 are studying to be physicians at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Bradenton.
- Joseph Biondolillo '09 and Jessica Clark '10 are in the osteopathic medicine program at Nova Southeastern University.
- Other students attending osteopathic medical schools include: Brandon Paritz '07 (PCOM-Atlanta), Erica Horstman '05 (PCOM-Atlanta), Margot LaCava '05 (West Virginia), Pauline Powers '04 (Des Moines), Haley Watsky '09 (A.T. Still) and Matt Henderson '09 (Touro-NYC).
- Nadia Abdulaal '09 is studying to be a medical technologist in Jacksonville.
- Kelsey Kramer '08 (Vanderbilt) is studying to be a nurse and Jaime Markham '08 is in the nurse practitioner program at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Brian Leonard '07 is studying to be a pharmacist at the University of Florida.
- Damien Frank '09 is attending the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy.
- J.J. Hirsh '08 (UCF), Jamie Nesbit '08 (Washington Univ), Sean Gorman '04 (Univ Texas-Galveston) and Sarah Turnbull '09 (St. Augustine) are studying to be physical therapists.
- Dotty Whatley '09 (UF), Katie Whattam '08 (Nova-Se), Alicia Sirmans '09 (UF), and Weslyn Leffler '09 (Alderson-Broaddus) are studying to be physician assistants.
- Meredith Cobb '08 (Ohio State) is studying veterinary public health.
- Amy Elsila '09 (Houston) and Michael Quackenbush '10 (Memphis) are studying optometry.
- John Rand '07 (UF), Lee Emery '09 (Tennessee), Kristine Stacy '08 (Ross) and Alicia Bainter '10 (Missouri) are studying to be veterinarians.
- Matt Villani '08 is studying podiatry at Temple University.
- Sarah Woodworth '10 is in the occupational therapy program at UF.