Aquatic and Marine Biology
Dive into preserving the world's most valuable natural resource.
Stetson aquatic and marine biology majors are trained to be scientists. Many graduates pursue advanced degrees leading to careers in biological research, environmental science and conservation. Others pursue careers in the health professions.
- Bachelor of Science
Stetson University’s aquatic and marine biology majors will become well-versed in the issues facing freshwater and marine ecosystems. Our convenient Florida location provides ready access to many different bodies of water, in which you will have the opportunity to visit and conduct research projects. As a Stetson aquatic and marine biology student, you will gain hands-on experience through an external internship and your senior research project.
View our course requirements to see what we offer.More Info
Visit to see our beautiful campus for yourself.More Info
Students must complete an external internship as part of the curriculum. Our students are expected to complete a 100-hour internship. Organizations for which our students have previously interned include
- Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium
- Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Tampa Aquarium
- Marine Science Center
- Marine Discovery Center
- Volusia County Environmental Management
- St. Johns River Water Management District
- Blue Spring State Park
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Our experienced and successful faculty will help guide you through the journey of our program.
Alongside a mastery of knowledge concerning aquatic and marine biology, you will also gain vital skills such as critical thinking, communication skills and field work capability. These skill sets will set you up for rewarding careers in multiple fields.
As a Stetson graduate of aquatic and marine biology, you will be prepared for roles such as
- Graduate student (masters in marine science, shark biology, fisheries science; veterinary school; pharmacy school)
- Education and restoration specialist
- County environmental manager
- Lab technician (water quality, DNA analyst)
- Fisheries biologist
The following are organizations that have recruited graduates of our program: