Frequently Asked Questions (Parents)

How does my student know what needs to be turned in so they can register?

The accepted student checklist contains information and links to the registration requirements.

Does my student need to take the math placement test to receive a registration PIN?

No, a student does not need to complete the math placement test in order to receive their registration PIN. Only students interested in taking MATH 122Q, MATH 130, or MATH 141Q, must complete the math placement test in order to register for those courses.

» More information on placement testing

How does my student know which classes to take?

The university's Student Success Tutorials are designed to teach students to register and interpret which classes to take on the Degree Audit. Students should review the Student Success Tutorials and complete tutorials five through seven, in addition to the required tutorials (one through four), if they are not sure which courses to register for. Please have your student complete the tutorials; do not complete them for the student. If you have questions, ask them to walk you through the Degree Audit and/or the tutorials. The information that they gain from these tutorials will teach them the skills they need to register each term, so it is important that they feel comfortable in this process.

How does my student know which math course to take?

Students who are required to take a specific math course will see it on their Degree Audit. Students who do not see a specific math course on their Degree Audit should take any "Q" (quantitative reasoning) course to meet the general education requirement. Instructions on searching for general education courses, including "Q" courses, are contained in the Student Success Tutorials. It is not required to take a "Q" course during a student's first year at Stetson University. However, the "Q" course must be taken to graduate.

Why does an error message appear when my student tries to register for MATH 122Q?

Students need to pay attention to prerequisites for any course for which they attempt to register. Even if the course appears on the students' Degree Audit, there are often prerequisites. MATH 122Q, for example, has three prerequisites. See the Student Success Tutorials for more information.

My student took the Student Success Tutorials, but did not receive a registration PIN. Why?

Students must pass the first four Student Success Tutorials by the published deadlines. They need to score 50/50 (100 percent) on the first tutorial and 90/100 (90 percent) on tutorials two through four..

Do students in the School of Business Administration need to take the Information Technology (BSAN 100/101) Exemption Exam before classes begin?

No. Those exams will be taken during their first year at Stetson University. Students will receive information about the dates and times for the exams throughout the fall semester.

How can my student get their registration PIN?

The academic advising office sends the registration PIN to each student at their Stetson University email address. It is good to encourage your incoming student to get used to accessing their Stetson University email account on a regular basis as this is how they will get important university-related communications (e.g., messages from faculty, the bursar's office, etc.).

How many classes must my student take to be considered full-time?

The academic advising office registers students for their First Year Seminar (FSEM) and a course in their major for a total of eight hours. The student may then register for two courses. Students in their first semester may take a maximum 16 hours -- except for music students who may be required to take 17 to 18 hours. Music students will be registered by the academic advising office. To be considered a full-time student, students must take at least 12 hours.

My student is an athlete; why does their class overlap with scheduled practice times?

While we make every effort to schedule classes around an athlete's practice time, it is not always possible for a student to register for the necessary prerequisites or a course in a major that would allow the student to graduate in four years.

My student dropped a class and now wants to take it, but it is full. What can they do?

Students should not drop a course in the major unless they are positive seats are available. Students learn about this in the Student Success Tutorials. If a student drops a course and the class fills before they can register again, they cannot register for that specific course and section.

How can my student change their major?

To change a major prior to coming into Stetson University, send an email to the Office of the Registrar at Once students arrive at Stetson University, they will go through their dean's office in order to change their major.

When do students need to buy textbooks?

Most often students can check the bookstore's website for the required textbooks for their classes before classes begin. However, in the event a course or textbooks are not listed there, the student's instructor will discuss this on the first day of class.

For more information, contact the Office of Career Development and Academic Advising at or 386-822-7315.