Academic Program - FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions

Who may participate?
Students in good academic standing at any ABA-approved law school, including a school that is provisionally approved, may apply for the program; students from schools other than Stetson must have written permission from their home institution to participate.

Full-time and part-time Stetson J.D. students who have successfully completed at least 29 credit hours are eligible to apply for the program. Stetson students who have not completed the required curriculum (other than area requirements) before starting the program will complete the required curriculum in the spring semester after they return from the program. This may require them to take at least some evening courses. Part-time students who participate in the program will be treated as full-time students while in the program, but automatically approved for conversion back to part-time status upon their return.

Stetson students enrolled in the Further Required Curriculum will not be eligible to participate without express written permission of the Associate Dean of Academics.

In addition, J.D. students who will be in the program during their last semester may participate only with the express written permission of the Associate Dean of Academics.

Full-time students enrolled in Stetson's International Law LL.M. program are eligible to participate in the program with the approval of the Associate Dean of Academics. LL.M. students in other schools' programs are welcome to apply for the program, with the written permission of their home institution.

Are students at non-U.S. law schools eligible to participate?
Students at non-U.S. law schools are invited to apply to the program. Their applications should be accompanied by their law program transcript and, if they attended a law school at which instruction was not primarily in English, a TOEFEL score. In addition, all applicants from non-U.S. law schools must submit a letter reflecting their home institution's support for their participation. The admission decision for students from non-U.S. law schools will be based on the recommendation of the Associate Dean of Academics.

How are students selected for the program?
Enrollment in the program is limited to a maximum of forty students. Students meeting the admission criteria of the program, as defined in the preceding FAQs, and submitting completed applications, with the required deposits ($200 tuition; $100 housing), will be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis.

How will my courses be selected?
All participants will take the required course of Comparative U.K.-U.S. Legal Systems (2 credits). The remaining courses are electives. Students will select these courses after they are accepted for admission into the program. The name of the elective, a brief description of the courses, and the name of the Instructor will be available on the program website and in Stetson's Office of International Programs.

Will there be an add/drop period?
Yes. Students will have until the 5:00 p.m. of the first Friday of classes to add or drop courses. All requests for adds and drops must be submitted to the U.K. Program Director, which is currently Val Reid.

How many credits must, or may, I take?
You must register for a minimum of 10 credits. Students may take up to 17 credit hours with the written approval of the Associate Dean for Academics. Tuition will be the same for students taking between 10 and 17 credits.

Students may not take a class in London that is substantially similar to a course they already have taken during law school. If a student has any questions about whether they may enroll in a particular course, they should contact the Associate Dean of Academics.

How will my academic performance be evaluated?
Professors will evaluate performance by examination or paper. Professors also have the discretion to include other components, such as class participation, performance in simulations, etc., as part of the final grade.

If an examination is administered as a closed book examination, then the examination must be handwritten. If the examination is open book, with the professor's permission, students may use their laptops to type the examination. All examinations will be submitted to the U.K. Program Director, currently Val Reid.

How will I be graded?
All students enrolled in the program will be subject to the academic policies of Stetson University College of Law. All students will be graded on the Stetson University College of Law grading system, and are subject to Stetson's then-current Grade Normalization Policy. Students from schools other than Mercer, Nova, OCU, Stetson, Tulsa, or Washburn should check with their home institution to ensure that all credits will transfer. In addition, they should determine how grades will appear on their transcript (most schools transfer-in grades as either pass/fail or credit/no credit).

How are students selected for externships?
Students who wish to participate in an externship may request to be assigned to a particular externship when they register for the program. Externships are competitive and will involve interviews with the U.K. externship director and the externship supervisor at the organization or law firm. In addition, an essay and/or interview with a Stetson associate dean may be required. More details on the externship application and acceptance process may be found on the Externship page of the website.

Will externships be graded?
Yes. All externships will be graded pursuant to the Stetson University College of Law grading system.

Will I be permitted to review my examinations?
Yes, examinations will be retained for three years. In the spring semester following a student's participation in the program, a student may request to review any examination taken in the program. Where reasonably possible, these examination reviews will be conducted with the Instructor. Reviews with non-Stetson instructors likely will be conducted by email or telephone.

Will the courses satisfy my Stetson graduation requirements?
Any course that would satisfy a graduation requirement if offered on-site at Stetson will satisfy the same graduation requirement if offered in the London program. Non-Stetson students are likely to find that courses taken will satisfy only elective course requirements.

May I participate in the program and remain a member of the Stetson Law Review or other journal?
Possibly. Continued participation on the Law Review or other journal will be decided on a case-by-case basis. The faculty advisor to the Law Review or journal will make this decision. A student who is willing to conduct assigned law review duties may be permitted to do so. Other students may be exempted from participating that semester; these students will not lose their eligibility to receive a law-review certificate so long as they meet all other requirements, including actual service for at least three semesters. Editors will not be permitted to participate in the program and retain their editorial position.

May I participate in the program and still remain on the Advocacy Board?
Advocacy Board members will not be eligible to participate in Advocacy Competitions during the program, but will not lose their eligibility to receive an Advocacy certificate at graduation, provide that all other requirements are satisfied. Advocacy Board members are encouraged to speak with their faculty advisor before applying for the program.

May I complete a Directed Research Project or Independent Research Paper for credit while in London?
Yes. Directed Research projects and Independent Research papers are treated the same as if completed while on-site at Stetson. An Independent Research paper will satisfy Stetson's upper-level writing requirement, but a Directed Research project will not. The Program's Academic Coordinator of the program (the full-time Stetson or Tulsa faculty member who will be in London for the entire program) will be responsible for approving enrollment in these courses. The Academic Coordinator may serve as an advisor on these projects; in addition full-time Stetson and Tulsa professors may serve as advisors.

May I take electronic courses offered by Stetson while enrolled in the program?
We anticipate that at least one electronic education course will be offered as an elective choice to program participants.

How will I be informed of program activities?
We will assign each student enrolled in the program a Stetson email address; we will send official communication to this address. In addition, all students enrolled in the program will have access to Stetson's Banner Web.

Will I be permitted to evaluate the program?
Yes. Students will be asked to evaluate each class in which they are enrolled through an end-of-semester evaluation form. All evaluations will be reviewed and considered in planning future programs. In addition, we hope you will share your thoughts and suggestions about the program with the U.K. Program Director and the Academic Coordinator, both of whom will be with you in London. You may also contact Stetson's Director of International Programs with any concerns or suggestions for improvements.

What kind of clothes should I bring to London?
Americans often think that English people dress more formally, but in fact British college students dress just the way that U.S. students do - jeans, t-shirts, sweat shirts, sneakers. You do not need to bring many formal clothes, maybe just an outfit in case you go out dancing, and of course if you are planning to do an internship you will need to bring a suit in a dark color and white shirt. Pants-suits are OK for women. When you first arrive the weather will hopefully be quite warm, but in October, November and December it will start to get cold and you will need a couple of warm sweaters, a hat, gloves and scarf. It is good to dress in layers that you can take off as it can get hot inside the buildings. Thermal underwear is good to wear under your jeans, and a warm, preferably waterproof, jacket is an absolute essential. Also essential are a pair of comfortable walking shoes - you will do much more walking in London than you ever do at home. A raincoat is also a good idea, but don't bring an umbrella as you can pick one up cheaply in London. DO NOT BRING TOO MUCH. Storage in the Acorn facilities is rather limited -you will only have a small hanging closet and a small chest of drawers. Also airlines seem to be getting much stricter about the weight of your luggage and you don't want to end up having to pay excess baggage charges. A good trick is to put everything out you would like to bring and then divide it by 50%! There are washing machines and dryers in the buildings so you can launder your clothes frequently.

Should I bring school supplies to London?
It is easy to buy pads of paper, folders, pens etc. once you get to London. There is a store in the University of London Union building which sells them at a reasonable price and you will be able to get files with the University of London logo on them! Note: in England files have two holes, not three as in the U.S., so if you are going to bring US folders you will need to bring US paper pads as well! (Only two-hole punches are available in the UK.)

What about bringing toiletries - are these cheaper in the US?
There is a fairly cheap chain store called Superdrug in England where you can buy all these things when you arrive to save you having to carry them.

How shall I get money in London? Should I open a bank account?
Do not carry large amounts of cash - it's too risky. Most previous students have relied mainly on ATM machines to get money in London, but occasionally there have been problems with cards getting lost/swallowed, etc. so it is a very good precaution to bring more than one card with you as it takes about a week or more to get a card replaced. You can also buy dollar or pound travelers checks, and the best ones are really American Express as they can be replaced instantly if you lost them. YOU MUST MAKE A RECORD OF THE CHECK NUMBERS AND KEEP THEM IN A SEPARATE PLACE FROM THE CHECKS THEMSELVES. If necessary your parents can wire you money via Western Union (however this is expensive), or send you a money order. Only Use American Express Money orders as they are easy to cash, whereas money orders from unknown banks are not easy to cash in the UK. American Express card holders can cash personal cheques in London at Amex offices.

It is quite difficult to open a short-term bank account in London, although a few students have managed it in the past. HNBC in Oxford Street (near the study centre) are the only bank who have been willing to open accounts for our students, and will only do so if you can provide a US banker's reference. It is not really necessary to open a bank account as the above methods of getting money work OK.

I am on regular medication. Will I be able to get my prescriptions filled in London?
Unfortunately you cannot use an American prescription at Pharmacies (drug stores) in London, and if you need more medication you will have to go to British doctor to get it prescribed. You will then have to pay a consultation fee of approximately £30 on top of the cost of the medication. Also some medications may have different names, or not be available in Britain. It is risky for people to send you medication, as restrictions apply, and these may be seized by customs. It is therefore much better to bring a supply of your medication with you which will last throughout the Autumn program.

Do I need to bring my own bed linens and towels in Acorn accommodation?
Acorn will provide you with two sets of bed linen when you arrive. You will be responsible for laundering your own bed linen (free laundry facilities are provided in the buildings). It is best to bring your own towels.

Will my electrical goods work in the U.K.?
Britain's voltage is 240V AC and this could damage lower voltage US appliances. In addition, plugs have three-square pins in England which most foreign electrical goods will not be compatible with. So you will need a transformer or an adapter. These are widely available (probably best bought at airports) so if you forget one it should not be a problem. Most students in the past have tended to just buy a cheap British hairdryer upon arrival rather than bother with adapters/converters etc. Regarding laptops, these now tend to have built in converters, but you will need to buy a plug adaptor to adapt your U.S. plug to a British 3 pin.

What is the best way to get to the accommodation from the airport when I arrive?
About two months before the program starts you will receive via e-mail a copy of the Stetson London Guide. This is a booklet which provides pre-departure information including a detailed section about getting to the accommodation from London's main airports.

How will I get the keys to my apartment when I arrive?
See answer above. You will receive detailed information before you arrive about exactly where to go to pick up your keys to access your accommodation.

Is there a Gym I will be able to use in London?
Most of our students tend to join the YMCA, Great Russell Street, London WC1 Tel: 020 7343 1700, an excellent facility very near the study centre. It has a heated swimming pool, extensive gym, café, classes etc. The current cost is approximately £35 per month. There is also a gym available at the University of London Union which is near the Janet Poole House student Acorn residence. The cost is approximately the same as the YMCA.

What if I have other questions?
Additional information on the autumn in London program may be found at the Stetson University College of Law website at If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to contact the Office of International Programs at Stetson. The office's phone number is 727-562-7555. The fax number is 727-231-0723 and its e-mail address is You may also contact the office at the following address:

Stetson University College of Law
International Programs Office
1401-61st St S, Gulfport, FL 33707
(727) 562-7849 (Tel)
(727) 231-0723 (Fax)