Stetson University students to attend Florida Audubon Society Conference
Through a partnership between the Florida Audubon Society and Stetson University, nine students from Stetson’s DeLand and Law campuses have been awarded scholarships to attend the Conservation Leadership Initiative (CLI) as part of Florida Audubon Society’s statewide conference in Lake Mary, Fla., on Oct. 14.
The 2011 Audubon Assembly is an annual event that brings together conservation leaders, scientists, educators, the business community, environmentally concerned citizens and Audubon state, local and chapter staff to take action for Florida’s environment. The Conservation Leadership Initiative is being sponsored by Disney.
As part of the CLI program, scholarship recipients will participate in a co-mentoring experience in which they will be paired with Audubon mentors to network, share and learn from each other. The students will choose one of four nature-inspired walking workshops showcasing successful conservation projects and programs including: Orlando Wetlands Park; Lyonia Preserve in Deltona; conservation tour along Wekiva River; and an ecological tour of the Wekiva River Mitigation Bank. They will also attend a Take Action Lunch, afternoon learning sessions and an evening reception.
“We’re delighted to collaborate with Florida Audubon to identify and develop the next generation of environmental leaders for our state and nation,” said Dr. Grady Ballenger, dean of the College of Arts & Sciences.
“We have strong undergraduate programs at Stetson in the environmental sciences, and our College of Law has a special emphasis on environmental law,” Ballenger said. “Our students will benefit from testing their academic understandings against the pressing issues that Audubon Society members face as citizens, naturalists, educators, and business and political leaders. We hope, moreover, that our students will use the networking opportunities Audubon is providing to strengthen their understandings about advocacy and careers in conservation.”
The Stetson students attending include:
- Bekah Burket of Casselberry, Fla., a senior environmental science and chemistry double-major
- Logan Dodson of Riverview, Fla., a freshman biology major
- Tyler Garibay of Visalia, Calif., and Dania Beach, Fla., a sophomore psychology major (with minor in Spanish)
- Ariana Gonzalez of Plant City, Fla., a second-year law student
- Tyce Herrman of Verona, Ill., a senior environmental science and philosophy double-major
- Jeannie Miller of Manassas,Va., a junior environmental science major
- Elise Pautler of Tampa, Fla., a second-year law student
- Sara Potts of North Port, Fla., a first-year law student
- Angelina Suarez of Deerfield Beach, Fla., a senior biology major (with a minor in environmental science)
Post date: Oct. 11, 2011
Media contact: Brandi Palmer | email@example.com
727-562-7381 office | 727-430-1580 cell