Stetson University

JD-Grado en Derecho

World globe

Based on a recent change to the laws in Spain, the J.D./Grado program is currently under review. If you have questions about the program, please contact Ivette Silva in the International Programs Office.

» Application Form (PDF)

Video interview with J.D./Grado student

The J.D./Grado en Derecho dual-degree program is offered by Stetson University College of Law, in Gulfport, Fla., and the Universidad de Granada, in Granada, Spain. The program is open to first-year Stetson students in good academic standing who are bilingual (Spanish and English) or who have excellent written and oral Spanish skills and are willing to immerse themselves in a different legal culture.

Each year, both Stetson Law and Universidad de Granada will select up to two students to study two years at Stetson Law and two years at Universidad de Granada. Upon successful completion of four years of study, these students will receive the J.D. degree from Stetson and the Grado en Derecho from Granada.

Important Note: For more information on policies and requirements, please review the document J.D./Grado Dual-Degree Program (PDF).

Learn International Legal Skills

Universidad de Granada courtyardThe study of law in Spain will prepare U.S. students to understand the basics of civil law and will train them to work not only in Spain but in other member states of the European Union. During their law school studies they will be able to study and acquire a full knowledge of both the common law and the continental legal system and gain global legal skills throughout their law school studies. In Spain, students will study the primary civil law courses as well as major European Union law and international law courses. They will gain an understanding of the U.S., Spanish and European legal systems that will help them as worldwide legal practitioners.

Upon graduation, students may be eligible to take the bar examination in Spain and the United States. Effective October 31, 2011, all students wishing to practice law in Spain must take the Spanish Bar. In accordance with Spanish Law 34/2006, students holding the Grado en Derecho must now complete the following additional requirements before becoming eligible to sit for the Spanish bar exam:

  1. LL.M. in Advocacy consisting of 60 ECTS (approximately one year of study) and
  2. a six-month Clinical Program (started after the LL.M. is conferred).

In summary, a J.D. student wishing to take the new Spanish bar exam will need the following:

  1. the Grado en Derecho;
  2. LL.M. in Advocacy (conferred after the Grado en Derecho); and
  3. a six-month Clinical Program (started after the LL.M. is conferred).

Gain Practical Experience

Universidad de Granada library roomAs part of the new Grado curriculum in Spain, J.D./Grado students will be able to benefit from a more practical learning system while studying at the Universidad de Granada. They will be able to participate in legal discussions with their peers during classes and practice their Spanish legal oral advocacy skills during the entire program. This practical learning experience will be prepare them to work in different legal areas in Spain and eventually in other countries of the European Union.

Students will also gain professional experience during their years of study in Spain. They will be able to work as legal interns in a Spanish law firm, in a Spanish Court of Justice or for a public or governmental institution.

Accreditation Disclaimer

Group picture of three individuals in Granada, SpainStetson University College of Law is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges to award both J.D. and LL.M degrees. The University of Granada School of Law is not accredited by the Commission on Colleges and the accreditation of Stetson University College of Law does not extend to or include the University of Granada School of Law or its students. Although Stetson University College of Law accepts certain University of Granada School of Law course work in transfer, other colleges and universities may not accept this work in transfer.

For more information or assistance, please contact the Office of International Programs.

Share Web Page