Luz Estella Nagle - Publications
Professor of Law
LL.D., Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana
M.A., University of California at Los Angeles
LL.M., University of California at Los Angeles
J.D., College of William and Mary
International Law, International Criminal Law, Transborder Criminal Law, Advanced Seminar on Terrorism and Global Security, National Security
- "Better a Jail Cell in the United States: Using Extradition to Avoid Criminal Accountability in Colombia, 28 No. 11 Int'l Enforcement L. Rep. 397 (2012).
- "Giving Shelter from the Storm: Colombians Fleeing Persecution Based on Sexual Orientation," 48 Tulsa L. Rev. 1 (2012) [lead article].
- "An International Experience," co-author Robert Johnson, ABA Criminal Justice Section State of Criminal Justice 2012 (forthcoming).
- "The FARC: Doing What Any Multinational Corporation Would Do--Diversify," 28 No. 5 Int'l Enforcement L. Rep. 178 (May 2012).
- "Youth Gangs and Transnational Organized Crime in Europe," 27 No. 5 Int'l Enforcement L. Rep. 705 (2011).
- "Child Soldiers and the Duty of Nations to Protect Children from Participation in Armed Conflict," 19 Cardozo J. Int'l & Comp. L. 1 (2010) [lead article].
- "Terrorism and Universal Jurisdiction: Opening a Pandora's Box," 27 GSU L. Rev.339 (2010).
- "Should Terrorism Be Subject to Universal Jurisdiction?" 8 Santa Clara J. Int'l L. 87 (2009).
- "U.S. Narcotic Kingpin List Snares Innocents in Its Impersonal Web," 25 Int'l Enforcement L. Rep. 263 (2009).
- "National Security Issues with Mexico: A Tale of a Troubled State," 19th Annual Review of the Field of National Security Law 171, ABA Standing Committee on Law and National Security, Nov. 2009.
- "Colombia's Incursion into Ecuadorian Territory: Justified Hot Pursuit or Pugnacious Error?" 17 J. Transnat'l L. & Pol'y 359 (Spring 2008) (also posted to the SSRN website).
- "On Armed Conflict, Human Rights, and Preserving the Rule of Law in Latin America," 27 Penn. St. Int'l L. Rev. 1 (2008) [lead article].
- "Some Thoughts on the Rule of Law and Democracy in Latin America," Criminal Law Section Newsletter (Int'l Bar Ass'n), Sept. 2008, at 7.
- "Colombia's Raid into Ecuador Sparks International Debate on the Bush Doctrine, Hot Pursuit, and Preemptive Self-Defense," 24 Int'l Enforcement L. Rep. 188 (May 2008).
- "Process Issues of Colombia's New Accusatory System," 14 Sw. J. L. & Trade Am. 223 (2008) [lead article].
- "Selling Souls: The Effect of Globalization on Human Trafficking and Forced Servitude," 26 Wis. Intl. L.J. 131 (2008).
- "Criminal Gangs in Latin America: The Next Great Threat to Regional Security and Stability?" 14 Tex. Hisp. J.L. & Pol'y 7 (2007) [lead article].
- · "Algunos aspectos sobre la lucha contra el crimen organizado internacional en América Latina," 76 Rev. Jur. U.P.R. 59 (2007) [University of Puerto Rico Law Review].
- "Prosecuting the Use of Anti-personnel Mines by Illegal Armed Groups: The Colombian Situation," 8 Or. Rev. Int'l L. 230 (Spring 2006).
- "Global Terrorism in Our Own Backyard: Colombia's Legal War against Illegal Armed Groups," 15 Transnat'l L. & Contemp. Probs. 5 (2005) [lead article].
- "Placing Blame Where Blame Is Due: The Culpability of Illegal Armed Groups and Narcotraffickers in Colombia's Environmental and Human Rights Catastrophes," 29 Wm. & Mary Envtl. L. & Pol'y Rev. 1 (2004) [lead article].
- "Colombian Asylum Seekers: What Practitioners Should Know about the Colombian Crisis," 18 Geo. Immigr. L.J. 441 (2004) [lead article].
- "Entrevista con una experta sobre las extradiciones de Colombianos a EE.UU., politica contra el narcotrafico de Colombia, y otros temas," (Interview with an expert regarding extradition of Colombians to the United States, politics against narcotrafficking from Colombia, and other themes) Money Laundering Alert lavadinero.com website (October 13, 2003).
- "The Challenges of Fighting Global Organized Crime in Latin America," 26 Ford. Int'l L.J. 1649 (2003).
- "Antitrust in the International Telecommunications Sector: The United States Challenges Mexico's Telmex Monopoly," 32 U. Miami Inter-Am. L. Rev. 183 (2002) [lead article].
- "Hacia un regimen de responsibilidad civil por daño ambiental transfronterizo," co-author with Henry W. McGee, 71 Rev. Juridica U.P.R. 111 (2002).
- "Ayuda no militar y la agenda de reforma judicial del Plan Colombia," Aerospace Power Journal Español, Tercer Trimestre, 76 (October 2001), also available at http://www.airpower.au.af.mil/apjinternational/apj-s/2001/3trimes01/nagle.htm.
- "E-Commerce in Latin America: Business and Legal Challenges for Developing Enterprise," 50 Am. U. L. Rev. 859 [lead article] (Fall 2001).
- "The Situation Within Colombia: A Pressure Cooker Spilling Over," published by the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Law and National Security at http://www.abanet.org/natsecurity/nagle.html.
- "E-Commerce in Latin America," formerly published on the Purchasingsupersite.com website;
- "United States Mutual Assistance to Colombia: Vague Promises and Diminishing Returns," 23 Ford. Int'l L.J. 1235 (2000) [lead article].
- "The Cinderella of Government: Judicial Reform in Latin America," 30 Cal. W. Int'l L.J. 101 (2000).
- "Colombia's Faceless Justice: A Necessary Evil, Blind Impartiality, or Modern Inquisition?" 61 Pitt. L. Rev. 881 (Summer 2000) [lead article].
- "Maximizing Legal Education: The International Component," 29 Stetson L. Rev. 1091 (2000).
- Book Review: "Law Professors' Book Rates Courtroom Movies," 11 VLW 577 (Virginia Lawyers Weekly, November 18, 1996).
- "TLC y el control de residuos tóxicos en la guerra contra la contaminación transfronteriza," co-author with Henry W. McGee, 35 Rev. D.P. 67 (1996).
- "Evolution of the Colombian Judiciary and the Constitutional Court," 6 Ind. Int'l & Comp. L. Rev. 61 (1995).
- "From Medellín to Marshall-Wythe in Search of the Rule of Law," William and Mary Lawyer (1992 Annual Report), p. 22.
- "The Rule of Law? or the Rule of Fear: Some Thoughts on Extradition in Colombia," 15 Loy. LA. Int'l & Comp. L.J. 851 (1991).
- ABA Standing Committee on Law and National Security, "A National Security Conference: Strengthening the Rule of Law in the War Against Drugs and Narco-Terrorism," 15 Nova L.J. 795, 818 (1991) (transcript of remarks made on October 11, 1990 in Washington, D.C.).
- "Corruption among Politicians, Law Enforcement, and the Judiciary," book chapter, Narcos Over the Border: Gangs, Cartels and Mercenaries (Taylor & Francis, 2009).
- "U.S. International Criminal Law," co-author Bruce Zagaris, Chapter 7, ABA Criminal Justice Section State of Criminal Justice 2009
- "The Rule of Law in Latin America," book chapter, Latin American Democracy: Emerging Reality or Endangered Species? (Routledge, 2008).
- "Protección del medio ambiente imponiendo una responsabilidad civil," co-author Henry W. McGee, Chapter Two, Responsibilidad civil de profesionales y empresarios (Caruña, Spain: Grupo Bilbo, 2006).
- "La Cenicienta del gobierno: reforma a la justicia en América Latina," Chapter Six, Independencia Judicial: Diseños Institucionales y Balances Historicos (Bogotá: Ediciones Antropos, 2006).
- Contributor, Manual de Intervención de Casos de Trata de Personas en Argentina Protocolo Práctico de Actuación de Autoridades Judiciales, Ministerios Públicos y Fuerzas de Seguridad, Unidos por la Justicia Asociación Civil y Oficina para Monitorear el Tráfico de Personas - Departamento de Estado de EE.UU., 2010, available at http://www.fundacionmariadelosangeles.org/images/pdf/manual-de-intervencion-de-casos-de-trata-de-personas-en-argentina.pdf
- Contributor, Narcotrafficking, Oxford Encyclopedia of Latinos/Latinas in Politics, Oxford University Press, 2010 [forthcoming].
- Impact of Globalization on Human Trafficking: An Era of Globalized Servitude, [monograph] published by Human Development Initiatives for HDI's 10th Anniversary Conference and Lecture, Lagos, Nigeria, May 11, 2007.
- Committee co-author, "Corruption and the Rule of Law," White Paper prepared by the Corruption and the Rule of Law Working Group, American Bar Association, April 2007.
- Plan Colombia: Reality of the Colombian Crisis and Implications for Hemispheric Security, Shaping the Regional Security Environment in Latin America Series, Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army War College, December 2002 [monograph].
- The Search for Accountability and Transparency in Plan Colombia: Reforming Judicial Institutions--Again, Implementing Plan Colombia Special Series, Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army War College, May 2001 [monograph], also available at http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/pub24.pdf .
- Doctoral Disertación, El Derecho al Deporte y el Deporte en el Derecho [The Right to Sports and Sports Law]. Medellín, Colombia: Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, 1985.
- Review of George Edwards, LL.M. Roadmap: An International Students Guide to U.S. Law School Programs (Aspen Publishers, 2011).
- Review of Bruce Zagaris, International White Collar Crime: Cases and Materials (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- "The State of Organized Crime in Latin America," paper delivered at the IBA-UAE Conference on Transnational Criminal Law, Oct. 2010, Dubai, EAE.
- "The Justice and Peace Law in Colombia Means Impunity," paper delivered at the IBA Annual Meeting, Oct. 2010, Vancouver, Canada.
- "Youth Gangs and Transnational Organized Crime in Europe," paper delivered at the International Association of Prosecutors Annual Conference, The Hague, Sept. 2010.
- "The Future of the Economic Analysis of Law in Latin America: A Proposal for ALACDE Model Law and Economics Civil and Commercial Codes," co-author Juan Del Granado and Matthew Mirow, Paper delivered at the IXth Congreso Latin America Law Economics Association, Boalt Hall Law School, June 2005, available on the eScholarship Repository website of the University of California, at http://repositories.cdlib.org/bple/alacde/3/ .
- "Demobilization of Paramilitary Combatants in Colombia," U.S. Southern Command analysis position paper, 2005.