Brooke J. Bowman
Professor of Legal Skills and Moot Court Advisor
B.S., Indiana University, Bloomington
M.S., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
J.D., Stetson University College of Law
Advanced Legal Research, Legal Drafting, Polishing for Professionals workshop, Research and Writing I and II
Professor Brooke J. Bowman joined the faculty in the fall of 2002 and teaches Research and Writing I and II, Advanced Legal Research, and Legal Drafting classes, as well as the Polishing for Professionals workshop. She is also the coordinator of the Scholarly Writing Series program.
Professor Bowman earned her bachelor's degree in accounting at Indiana University, Bloomington, where she was a scholar-athlete. Following graduation, she was a management team member for The Disney Stores in Illinois and Florida. She graduated with honors from Stetson University College of Law. While a student at Stetson, Professor Bowman was an Articles and Symposia Editor and the Managing Editor of the Stetson Law Review and served as a student co-director of the Legal Writing Clinic. Professor Bowman earned her master's degree in library and information science from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, in 2006.
Professor Bowman is the Moot Court Advisor, and she has coached or co-coached a number of Stetson's moot court teams, including the following:
- First place team at the 28th Annual John Marshall Law School International Moot Court Competition in Information Technology and Privacy Law in October 2009;
- Champions of the 2010 Mercer Legal Ethics and Professionalism Moot Court Competition;
- Best team, best brief, and best oralist, final round of the 2011 Robert Orseck Memorial Moot Court Competition;
- Finalists and best brief at the 2013 Andrews Kurth National Championship Moot Court Competition;
- Champions and finalists, best petitioner brief and best respondent brief, and best oralist, preliminary and final rounds at the 2013 National Professional Responsibility Moot Court Competition; and
- First place team at the 32nd Annual John Marshall Law School International Moot Court Competition in Information Technology and Privacy Law in October 2013.
In addition, Professor Bowman is the co-director of Stetson's International Environmental Moot Court Competition and a competition committee member for Stetson's National Pretrial Competition. She serves as a volunteer brief evaluator for a number of national moot court competitions and has been a volunteer screening evaluator for the Scribes Best Brief Award for many years. She will also be serving as a member of the ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition subcommittee during the 2013–2014 academic year.
After serving as an assistant editor for a year and assistant managing editor for a year, Professor Bowman was elected to the editorial board of Legal Writing: The Journal of the Legal Writing Institute. She was elected as the Journal's Editor in Chief, after serving two terms as the Journal's Managing Editor and one term as the Journal's Assistant Editor in Chief She also serves on the Board of Managing Editors for the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy and is a member of the Advisory Board for the Journal of International Aging Law & Policy. She has been an editor of numerous law review articles and books. She is a co-author of ALWD Companion: A Citation Practice Book (with accompanying Teacher's Manual), which is a practice book to accompany the 4th edition of the ALWD Citation Manual.