Students in Seminar or IRP Classes This Spring
Happy New Year and welcome to the spring 2017 semester!
If you are taking a seminar or an independent research project class this fall to fulfill the upper-level writing requirement, you may be required to watch the Scholarly Writing Series programs, so please keep reading.
These programs are available, as web casts, on a Westlaw TWEN page entitled, “Stetson’s Scholarly Writing Series.” Each program is about 40 to 60 minutes long. The four programs that are offered in the series are
- Introduction to Scholarly Writing (presented by Professor Minneti)
- Selecting a Topic and Researching a Scholarly Paper (presented by Professor Trammell)
- Organizing a Scholarly Paper and Writing the Thesis (presented by me)
- Proper Attribution (presented by me)
On the left-hand side of the TWEN page, you will see not only the links to the web casts, but also the handouts or power points that accompany the presentations.
The release of these programs will be staggered. All four videos (and accompanying handouts) will be available throughout the semester; however, the quizzes (that accompany the three “main” programs—numbers 2, 3, and 4 below) will be released during the time in which you should be at that specific point in the writing process. The schedule for the quizzes is below:
- Selecting a topic and conducting research: The quiz will be released no later than Monday, January 16, at 8:00 a.m., and will close on Sunday, March 5, at 5:00 p.m.
- Organizing a scholarly paper and writing a thesis: The quiz will be released on Monday, January 30, at 8:00 a.m., and will close on Sunday, April 2, at 5:00 p.m.
- Providing proper attribution: The quiz will be released on Monday, February 13, at 8:00 a.m., and will close on Sunday, May 14, at 5:00 p.m.
The three quizzes, referenced above, will serve as the attendance for the web casts. Documentation of who has taken the quizzes will be forwarded to the professors teaching seminar courses or supervising independent research projects.
If you have any questions about the Scholarly Writing Series programs in general, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will find additional information about the programs in the Scholarly Writing Series policy located on the Stetson webpage. If you have any questions concerning whether your professor requires the Scholarly Writing Series programs, please ask your professor.
Post date: January 11, 2017, in Faculty,