JD Americorp Deadline Extended until 6/1/15
AMERICORPS JD APPLICATION
The application deadline has been extended to JUNE 1 to earn a $1,212 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award through Equal Justice Works’ (EJW) AmeriCorps JD Program!
More Information from EJW below:
APPLICATION AND PROGRAM OVERVIEW
- Check out PSJD or our website to find nonprofit or government offices seeking law students.
- Complete our quick application with a brief description of your service, your resume, and identification. Review our guide!
- Complete and record 300 hours of service by August 31, 2015.
- Earn a $1,212 education award!
We have many spots available for students working on various issue areas throughout the country. Some examples of the type of work students can do include:
- Direct legal services: intake, legal form preparation, performing client and witness interviews, advocating for clients by telephone and in person, attending hearings, assisting attorneys in legal representation, carrying out legal research and writing
- Outreach and education: developing and distributing fact sheets, developing and delivering training on legal topics or on how to access legal services, ensuring potential clients are aware of their rights and available services
- Capacity building: activities which build the capacity of your host organization or other organizations to provide services in the previously specified priority areas, such as an organizational assessment, compiling best practices, organizing focus groups, leading planning committees
The AmeriCorps program, under the Corporation for National and Community Service, has a list of prohibited activities that cannot be included in the hours of service completed to earn the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. A list of these activities can be found here.
- U.S. citizen, U.S. national or Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States
- Agree to criminal background checks during application
- Serve in any nonprofit or qualifying government agency within the U.S.
- Supervised by licensed attorney
- Have received less than two full Segal Education Awards for any prior AmeriCorps service
- Not receive more than $4,300 in outside funding for service hours at your organization
- Cannot receive law school credit and education award
Students serving in the priority areas or other issue areas may apply now through 5 p.m. EDT on JUNE 1, 2015. Questions may be directed to AmeriCorpsJD@equaljusticeworks.org.
Post date: April 27, 2015, in Faculty,