Media and Publications - Center for Excellence in Higher Education Law and Policy
- May 13, 2010: Professor Peter Lake discussed how colleges are dealing with sexual assault with Hayley Peterson of the Washington Examiner for the article "Dating violence on the rise at area colleges."
- May 12, 2010: Dean Darby Dickerson spoke with the Chronicle of Higher Education for the article "U. of Virginia President Meets With Governor to Push for Access to Law-Enforcement Records."
- May 11, 2010: Professor Peter Lake spoke with Hayley Peterson at the Washington Examiner for the article "U.Va. president attributes ignorance of Huguely's past to state law," which was about the student at the University of Virginia accused of killing his girlfriend.
- January 21, 2010: Vice President and Dean Darby Dickerson was quoted in The Report Card, the Daily Pennsylvanian blog, regarding her Villanova Law Review article and interview with USA Today regarding plagiarism on college campuses.
- December 2009: Vice President and Dean Darby Dickerson was cited in the TechDirt article, "What is Cyber Bullying Anyway?"
- November 22, 2009: Dean Darby Dickerson was quoted in the USA Today article, "Case of the purloined term paper; when work is resold."
- November 19, 2009: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in The Chronicle of Higher Education article, "Lincoln U. Requires Its Students to Step on the Scale," by Eric Hoover.
- August 13, 2009: iContact Community - Professor Peter Lake
Educational malpractice lawsuits certain to multiply
News of Professor Peter Lake, the director of the Center for Excellence in Higher Education Law and Policy, writing in The Chronicle of Higher Education that the recent lawsuit launched against Monroe College by an unemployed graduate may be the start of a trend toward "educational malpractice" lawsuits against colleges and universities, appeared in the iContact Community "Academia's Top Ten."
- August 11, 2009: Professor Peter Lake wrote the article, "Will Your College Be Sued for Educational Malpractice?," for The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- May 5, 2009: Vice President and Dean Darby Dickerson's "What is Cyber Bullying?" was highlighted in the May 5 Media Law Blog.
- April 17, 2009: Professor Peter Lake wrote the article, "Student Discipline, the Case Against Legalistic Approaches," for the Chronicle of Higher Education.
- March 19, 2009: Qatar University ran news of Vice President and Dean Darby Dickerson's visit to the Legal Education in the Arab World: Current Status and Future Perspectives conference March 18-19 in Qatar. The event was organized in conjunction with the American Bar Association and addressed such topics as "International standards for LLM and post-graduate programs," "Globalization in legal education and multi-lingual curriculum standards and assessment," "Legal research and writing," "Practical skills training, clinical programs and civic education," and "Continuing Legal Education and training for young lawyers.
- February 20, 2009: News of the inaugural William A. Kaplin Award being given at the 30th Annual National Conference on Law and Higher Education ran in more than 100 national media outlets, including business journals across the country, Forbes.com, the L.A. Times, and television Web sites for all of the major networks.
- February 6, 2009: Professor Peter Lake wrote the article, "Student-Privacy Rules Show a Renewed Trust in Colleges," for the Feb. 6 Chronicle of Higher Education.
- December 9, 2008: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the Chronicle of Higher Education article, "Education Dept. Releases New Rules on Student-Privacy Law, Giving Colleges More Room for Judgment," by Sara Lipka.
- November 28, 2008: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in "Web Suicide 'A Modern Version of What We've Had for Centuries'" by Jonathan Abel in the St. Petersburg Times.
- November 25, 2008: Vice President and Dean Darby Dickerson was noted in the News on Women Web site in a special section on women law school deans.
- November 14, 2008: Professor Robert Bickels Web page and course was referenced on the Dulcinea Web site regarding the Nov. 13, 1956, U.S. Supreme Court affirmation of a ruling to strike down Montgomery, Ala., segregating bus laws.
- October 10, 2008: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in "Up Close: Two Years Later, Drinking Still a 'Ticking Bomb'" by Bharat Ayyar in the Yale Daily News.
- September 3, 2008: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the front page Chronicle of Higher Education story by Eric Hoover, "'Animal House' at 30: O Bluto, Where Art Thou?"
- June 27, 2008: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the article, "Colleges Wade Into Survival Training for Campus Shootings, by Eric Hoover. The article appeared on Chronicle.com.
- May 3, 2008: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the article, "Lessons to Learn," by Pauline Tam, regarding the Elizabeth Shin tragedy and others. The article ran in the Ottawa Citizen and appeared on Canada.com.
- April 11, 2008: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in "Families of Virginia Tech Victims Reach $11-Million Settlement With State," in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- February 22, 2008: Peter F. Lake was quoted in "Louisiana Shootings Underscore Vulnerability of Open Campuses," The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- November 1, 2007: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the Chronicle of Higher Education article, "Department of Education Offers Guidance on Balancing Campus Safety and Student Privacy Rights," by Karin Fischer.
- The Fall 2007 issue of Catalyst, a publication of the U.S. Department of Education's Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse and Violence Prevention, contains a "Q&A with Peter Lake."
- September 20, 2007: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the Wall Street Journal article, "Families Grapple with Student Privacy."
- August 31, 2007: Peter Lake is quoted in "Review Panel's Report Could Reverberate Beyond Virginia Tech and Virginia," written by Karen Fischer and Robin Wilson in the Chronicle of Higher Education.
- August 26, 2007: Peter Lake was quoted in "College Administrators Scrutinze Hazing Case," in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
August 25, 2007: Peter Lake was quoted in "Rider Hazing Case Could Change the Way Campuses Are Run," written by AP writer Chris Newmarker, the article appeared on Newsday.com.
- August 23, 2007: Peter Lake was quoted in Karin Fischer's "Virginia Tech Panels Call for More Counseling of Students and Additional Security Measures," which appeared in the August 23, 2007, Chronicle of Higher Education.
- August 23, 2007: Peter Lake was quoted in the Time magazine article "Can We Avoid Another Virginia Tech?" by Maxmilian Moehlmann.
- August 19, 2007: Peter Lake was quoted in the Star-Ledger titled "Indictments for Hazing Stir Fears, College Administrators Worry over Their Liability."
- August 19, 2007: Peter Lake was quoted in "Indictments in Hazing Stir Fears," which appeared on NJ.com.
- August 17, 2007: Professor Peter Lake was quoted in Paula Wasley, "Rider U. Officials Indicted in Student's Death," in the Chronicle of Higher Education.
- July 12, 2007: Peter Lake was quoted in Miriam Shuchman, M.D., "Falling through the Cracks Virginia Tech and the Restructuring of College Mental Health Services," which appears in the July 12, 2007 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.
- June 8, 2007:Peter Lake quoted in "Florida Panel Says Privacy Laws Do Not Protect Dangerous Students," in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- June 1, 2007: The Rights and Responsibilities of the Modern University, by Professors Robert D. Bickel and Peter F. Lake, was referred to favorably by Stephen M. Guest in his essay, "The Importance of Enforcing Alcohol Rules," which appeared in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- May 25, 2007: Peter Lake is quoted in "Florida Panel, Appointed After Virginia Tech Tragedy, Recommends Sharing Information About Troubled Students," by Martin Van Der Werf, in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- May 24, 2007: Works by Peter Lake, Robert Bickel, and Darby Dickerson of Stetson are cited favorably in The Report and Findings of the Florida Gubernatorial Task Force for University Campus Safety.
- May 8, 2007: Dean Dickerson testified before the Florida Gubernatorial Task Force on University Campus Safety, in hearings held on the College of Law's Gulfport Campus. She was then interviewed by Fox 13 television about her testimony.
- May 2, 2007: Professor Robert Bickel, Professor Peter Lake and Dean Darby Dickerson were mentioned in the PCToday article, "Five From Penn College Present at National Conference," regarding the Facilitator Model developed by the professors which advocates a balance between students' autonomy and institutional responsibility to provide support and control. Dean Dickerson's presentation was entitled, "Powered by the Facilitator Model: The Responsibility to Shape Off-Campus Outcomes."
- April 29, 2007: Professor Lake was quoted in The Tampa Tribune article, "Corporate U."
- April 2007: Professor Lake spoke about the Virginia Tech tragedy and was featured in the following media outlets:
- ABC World News Tonight
- Good Morning America
- Time magazine
- USA Today
- Christian Science Monitor
- Seattle Intelligencer
- Houston Chronicle
- Orlando Sentinel
- Las Vegas Sun
- Hartford Courant
- International News Service - Sydney, Australia
- WKRN.com, Nashville
- ABC 33/40, Alabama
- ABC 7, Chicago
- AM New York
- WCBS NEWSRADIO 880
- WPHT - Philadelphia
- KCBS-TV/KCAL-TV (cbs2.com) (Chicago)
- KYW-TV (cbs3.com)
- WBZ-TV (cbs4boston.com)
- WFOR-TV (cbs4.com)
- KPIX-TV CBS5.com
- KOVR-TV (cbs13.com)
- KSTP-TV (Saint Paul, Minn.)
- Belleview News-Democrat
- Washington Examiner
- Hamilton Journal-News
- Springfield News-Sun
- Dayton Daily News
- Marshall News Messenger
- Tuscaloosa News
- Florence, Alabama Times Daily
- Yahoo! News
- AP wire
- Grand Junction Daily Sentinel
- Greenville Daily Reflector
- Del Rio News-Herald
- Kerrville Daily Times
- Macon Telegraph
- Daytona Beach News-Journal
- San Luis Obispo Tribune (Cal.)
- Charleston Gazette
- New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung
- Tri-City Herald (Columbia, Wash.)
- New York Post
- February 2007 - Professor Lake was quoted in the Tampa Tribune article, "University Counseling Centers Feel Strain."
- September 2006 - Professor Lake was quoted in the Chronicle of Higher Education article, "Increase in Litigation May Compel Colleges to Disclose More Information, Conference Speaker Says."
- May 2006 - Professor Lake was quoted in Time Magazine article, When Colleges Go on Suicide Watch.
- April 2006 - Professor Lake was quoted in the Chronicle of Higher Education article, "In a Surprise Move, MIT Settles Closely Watched Student-Suicide Case."
- November 2005 - Professor Lake was quoted in USA Today, "Parents Tune in to Realities."
- August 2005 - Professor Lake was quoted in the Chronicle of Higher Education article, "Judge Rules Suicide Suit Against MIT Can Proceed."
|Robert Bickel and Peter Lake
The Rights and Responsibilities of the Modern University: Who Assumes the Risks of College Life?
Carolina Academic Press
(919) 489-7486 ISBN 0-89089-675-5 (1999)
"Legal Issues for Campus Administrators, Faculty, and Staff," in College Student Mental Health
(Sherri A. Benton & Stephen L. Benton eds., NASPA 2007)
|Professor Peter Lake
Beyond Discipline: Managing the Modern Higher Education Environment
Hierophant Enterprises Inc.
- 2007 Volume 52
Villanova Law Review
Facilitated Plagiarism: The Saga of Term-Paper Mills, and the Failure of Legislation and Litigation to Control Them, 52 Vill. L. Rev. 21 (2007).
- 2005 Volume 31:3
Journal of College and University Law
Peter F. Lake
Private Law Continues to Come to Campus:
Rights and Responsibilities Revisited
- February 11, 2006
Association for Student Judicial Affairs
Comments at the 2006 ASJA Annual Conference
- Fall 2006 Volume 37:1
The University of Toledo Law Review
Cyber Bullies on Campus
- Fall 2002 Volume 32:1
Stetson Law Review
Campus Violence Symposium