Florida Circuit Court (Appellate) Externship
4 Credit Hours
Lance Long, Professor of Legal Skills
Students are placed with a three-judge appellate panel in the Sixth Judicial Circuit (Pinellas County). Under the direction of a circuit appellate judge, students draft memoranda and orders, conduct research, and may attend appellate panel meetings. Students will review and make recommendations on civil or criminal cases invoking the appellate jurisdiction of the circuit court, including appeals from county court, petitions to review administrative action, and all other petitions seeking extraordinary writs necessary to the complete exercise of the circuit court's appellate jurisdiction. Students will also be afforded opportunities to view the types of court proceedings and administrative actions that are brought before the panels.
• Criminal Justice Center (Clearwater)
• Clearwater Courthouse
• St. Petersburg Courthouse
• 170 hours per semester;
• Online classroom component;
• 15 pages of original written work;
• Weekly journal; and
• Professionalism assignment.
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses; and
• Be in good academic standing;
• Pass background check; and
• No legal employment/volunteering during externship semester.
• Minimum 3.0 GPA
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, see www.law.stetson.edu/clinics); and
• Timely submit additional documentation as required for this program. (Students are notified of additional requirements after applying and being provisionally placed in the program.)