Mission of the M.E. Rinker, Sr. Institute of Tax and Accountancy
The mission of the M. E. Rinker, Sr. Institute of Tax and Accountancy (Department of Accounting) is to offer an intellectually challenging undergraduate and graduate education that will facilitate the development of our students as successful accounting professionals. The focus of the Institute's educational program is excellence in teaching in a rigorous, yet supportive learning environment.
This mission is accomplished as follows:
The Institute's focus on teaching excellence is supported by:
- Faculty recruitment, selection and development that fosters quality instruction and student support;
- Intellectual endeavors that support and enhance innovative teaching, contribute to the body of accounting knowledge, or advance the practice of accounting;
- Faculty service that draws the Institute and its students closer to the accounting and business communities as well as the University community; and
- Faculty maintaining currency with professional practice through interaction with the accounting profession, consulting with business, and involvement with professional and academic organizations.
The Institute seeks to provide a distinctive educational experience by encouraging:
- High involvement and experiential learning in a small class environment;
- An orientation toward real-world applicability in teaching and research;
- A pervasive commitment to professionalism, integrity, and ethical behavior; and
- A faculty-student relationship that extends from academic and career counseling through professional success.
The Institute administers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in accounting. Students completing both the undergraduate and graduate degree program in accounting are academically qualified for the CPA examination and CPA licensure in Florida. The Institute also administers an accounting minor and a business law minor, and provides introductory and advanced-level accounting courses in support of other undergraduate and graduate business degree programs.
Stetson University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The School of Business Administration and the accounting program are both fully accredited at the undergraduate and graduate levels by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Stetson University is one of 183 elite business schools worldwide that has both business and accounting programs accredited by AACSB International.