BSAN 100/101 Exemption Exams
All Stetson University students are required to show basic proficiency in four Microsoft Office applications. Students show proficiency by passing two separate exams. The first exam relates to the use of Microsoft Office Word 2010 and Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2010 and must be successfully passed to demonstrate proficiency for BSAN 100 (Information Technology I). The second exam relates to the use of Microsoft Office Excel 2010 and Microsoft Office Access 2010 and is offered as an alternative to completing the in-class requirements for BSAN 101 (Information Technology II). If you pass either test, the proficiency requirement for that test will be completed, but no academic credit will be given.
Proficiency is demonstrated by obtaining a score of 70 percent or higher on each exam. Should you be unsuccessful in passing either exam, you will be given the option to retake that exam at a later date.
To review a list of topics covered on each exam, refer to the following pages:
Fall 2013 Test Dates
You must take these exams during one of the scheduled times below. Each exam has a maximum 1.5 hour time limit and begins promptly at 2:30pm. You may take only one test per day.
- Friday August 30, 2013
- Friday September 27, 2013
- Friday October 25, 2013
- Thursday October 17, 2013
- Wednesday November 6, 2013
- Friday November 8, 2013
- Friday December 6, 2013
- Friday, January 31st
- Friday, February 28th
- Friday, March 28th
- Friday, April 25th
To register for an exam, contact Caroline Skinner at email@example.com. You must include both your Stetson University ID number and your exam number on all registration correspondence. You must bring your Stetson University ID card to the exam; if you don't bring your ID card to the exam location, you will not be allowed to test.
Create Your Testing Account
- Go to SAM 2010
- Click the "New User" button.
- You will be prompted for the university's 8-digit institution key, which is T2042274.
- Next, you will be asked for the PIN number to register on SAM 2010. A PIN number for SAM2010 can be acquired from the Stetson University Bookstore or purchased online. The fee for the exam and all relevant support materials is $104 if purchased online or $118 if purchased from the bookstore; the fee covers both exams.
- You can then enroll yourself by creating a user ID and password (this is entirely up to you); you need only properly spell your first and last name and enter your email address. You will now have a testing account.
- Next, join a section that will be used for testing. Click the "Section" button on the left. Then click "Join a Section" on the right. Choose the appropriate section.
In addition to the training material that comes with your examination fee, Stetson University subscribes to an online training site called Atomic Learning. Go there for a list of training tutorials that support the topics covered in the exemption exams. They are first grouped by software application: Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access. Under each group, there are logical groupings of topics. Each tutorial area will then give a very specific link or key number. The training video will last from one to three minutes. You can watch it as many times as you wish and concentrate on the areas with which you are unfamiliar.
If you are prompted to log in, the user ID is "stetson" and the password is "hatters."