Stetson University

College of Arts and Sciences

imageimage

Stetson's Russian Studies program was begun in 1958 by the late eminent Russian historian Dr. Serge Zenkovsky. Since then the duPont-Ball Library has accumulated substantial Russian area holdings and the Russian Studies faculty has increased so that the program is now outstanding among small colleges.

Expansion of the Russian Studies program in the early 1990s was made possible by grants totalling a half million dollars from the Knight Foundation and the Jessie Ball duPont Fund. Among other things the grants helped Stetson to increase yet further its library holdings in the Russian area and to install satellite facilities for full-time monitoring of direct television broadcasts from Moscow.

The home of the Russian Studies Program is the Russian Studies Center, a state-of-the-art facility that contains classrooms, a library of books, periodicals, and videotapes, a computer lab, and television viewing areas. In the Center or in classrooms and faculty offices throughout campus, students can watch Russian television live from Moscow via satellite. Students also will find an impressive collection of books and periodicals, in Russian and English, in the duPont-Ball Library. Most important, Stetson has a distinguished faculty devoted to undergraduate instruction in its broadest sense. Faculty do not just convey specialized knowledge about their subjects; they seek to develop in their students an ability to think critically and communicate effectively in speaking and writing.

Share Web Page