Professional accreditation of preparatory education programs and the unit's adherence to professional standards is the bedrock upon which all professions (e.g., architecture, engineering, medicine, law, etc.) have built their reputations. These standards and accreditations assure that those entering their respective fields have been suitably prepared to practice. A program that aligns itself with state and national standards strives to cover a vast body of knowledge as approved by the profession. Accreditation of schools of education indicates that the school underwent rigorous external review by professionals, that performance of a teacher candidate in the program has been thoroughly assessed before he or she is recommended for licensure, and that programs meet standards set by the teaching profession at large.
State and National Standards
Stetson University's Department of Education is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and is fully approved by the State of Florida for teacher certification. The department has aligned its programs to meet Florida's Subject Area Competencies as well as the Florida Educators' Accomplished Practices (FEAPs). Candidates in education are required to plan curriculum and instruction so that their P-12 students will meet the Sunshine State Standards. Candidates must also meet the ESOL Performance Standards as required by the State of Florida.
In addition to state standards, the department has also aligned its programs to the following national standards:
- American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL)
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISSLC)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC)
- National Council for Teachers of English (NCTE)
- National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)